Umai ginger salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Mixed this up on 8/23 . Used the Len Poli formula as a guide line . Added some ground caraway , white wine and dextrose . 50 mm bags .
Used 2 lbs of chuck roast and 3 lbs of pork butt . I actually cut the fat cap side out of the butt and made some BBB .
I made a rack to hang the umai sausage on . Works great . I hang it and move to the basement for 72 hours . Stays 65 to 70 degrees down there . After fermentation I just move the whole works to the fridge .
20180823_125402.jpg 20180823_125426.jpg
After 24 hours it didn't have much color change , but the smell was good .
After 72 hrs , went into fridge color was good .
20180826_163214.jpg 20180826_163242.jpg
They were 35 percent at 15 days . Shrinking away from the bag .
20180907_121855.jpg
I want to get to 40 % , but I had to cut into one .
20180909_081709.jpg 20180909_081716.jpg
Been about 3 weeks for the rest . Squeeze test says they are done .
Haven't weighed them yet . Think I'll skip the weigh in and pull them tomorrow . I all ready know they were 35% last week . This was my 4th time doin this , and by far the best result .

Attachments

• 3 weeks.jpg
    3 weeks.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34
I love that recipe and have a batch of 32mm in the fridge drying. Found your recipe mods interesting. Have you tried those changes before?

Per 5 lbs I used 1/4 tsp in a 1/4 cup of water .

Have you tried those changes before?
oberst , the wine was subbed for the sweet vermouth in the original recipe . I added the dextrose because the wine was a dry white . The caraway was added in just as a change . 1/4 tsp per the 5lbs . I ground up enough then measured it out . I'm with you , it's my favorite so far .

Looks great Chop! Ya done good!
Thanks Erik . It's almost to easy .
CS, Looks delicious !!!!!!!!!!! like
CM , thank you . First time I did this you gave me some pointers . Still using that advice , and it comes out fantastic .
It looks delicious!
Those UMAi casings are awesome!
Al
Al , I know you talked about trying them for awhile . Now you know . They are awesome . If you do some more give that ginger recipe a look .

Thanks for lookin and the like fellas

Looking good there chopsaw.

I like the Poli ginger salami in the UMAi

Looking good there chopsaw.

I like the Poli ginger salami in the UMAi
Thanks for the comment , followed your advice on the ginger .

Pulled 3 more at 40 % . The last 2 need a few more days . I like it at 40 % .
40%.jpg
Thanks again for lookin .

Reactions: 73saint
I went nuts on the Umai site yesterday. Got a lot coming to me, will be reading as much as I can from your previous posts. Hope I can get as good of results as you it looks like you've got it down to a science!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky