Two Questions for Cheese Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
jN7XyBN.jpg

Who else is smoking this Dubliner cheese? My Sam's Club carries it in the 2# bricks and it's very good. I'm smoking my third batch today. I could go on, but they have a full blown WRITE UP on their site. It explains the taste and texture perfectly, plus I learned a new word, "piquant". :emoji_laughing:

Next question, Any ideas for a hanging rack when smoking cheese sticks? I have a huge number of turkey lacing needles but there has to a better idea than just balancing them in the smoker.

NLanhvF.jpg

what temp does your grill get too. can you just lay them flat. maybe a grill mat would work.

Thanks for sharing. I love the kerrygold irish butter and have seen the cheese at the store but never tried it. Was wondering how it was. I will grab a couple blocks next time I am there and give it a shot!

what temp does your grill get too. can you just lay them flat. maybe a grill mat would work.

The outside temp is 38°, the smoker temp is 56°. I'm using an A-Maze-N sawdust generator, started from both corners.

I've tried them flat, and the reason I pin 5 sticks together was to make turning easier, the same with pinning asparagus when grilling except I use two pins so they don't roll on me. But the smoke time is only 90 minutes, meaning at least 5 turns. By doing this pitched roof arrangement I don't have to turn them .

Thanks for sharing. I love the kerrygold irish butter and have seen the cheese at the store but never tried it. Was wondering how it was. I will grab a couple blocks next time I am there and give it a shot!

I'll have to look for their butter, as butter takes a gentle smoke very well.

We still have a family farm in Kerry(I think). I just can't remember if my grandmothers family moved from Cork to Kerry or Kerry to Cork. Either way I'll have to look for this cheese. I've heard it's very good. I may have to find my god-father in Long Island to find out, as he owns the farm.

Chris

The cheese and butter is amazing. The Flavor, makes it special, especially when you get the Richer Summer run. I would keep the smoke very light. Kind of like putting Ketchup on a 60 day Prime Dry Aged Steak!...JJ

Reactions: gmc2003
The cheese and butter is amazing. The Flavor, makes it special, especially when you get the Richer Summer run. I would keep the smoke very light. Kind of like putting Ketchup on a 60 day Prime Dry Aged Steak!...JJ

That's an excellent point, I better just stick with smoking regular butter.

I like ketchup n my steak, it would be even better on a nice dry aged steak!

(I'm joking, ketchup is for french fries and hot dogs)

jN7XyBN.jpg

Who else is smoking this Dubliner cheese? My Sam's Club carries it in the 2# bricks and it's very good. I'm smoking my third batch today. I could go on, but they have a full blown WRITE UP on their site. It explains the taste and texture perfectly, plus I learned a new word, "piquant". :emoji_laughing:

Next question, Any ideas for a hanging rack when smoking cheese sticks? I have a huge number of turkey lacing needles but there has to a better idea than just balancing them in the smoker.

NLanhvF.jpg
How about a set of skewers for a easy flip rack

The dubliner cheese is very good!! Although I’ve never had it smoked. Report back with results if you do.

I ALWAYS have the Kerrygold butter on hand

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
How about a set of skewers for a easy flip rack

Not sure what you are referring to?

I did find that if I turned my 5-rack rib rack upside down, it would work great with the turkey pins and hold an amazing amount of cheese.... but it does not fit in my Mini WSM. This smoker drafts so well I'd like to keep using it for cheese. Thinking ahead, the same rack could double for cold or hot smoking jerky using the same turkey pins.

5hRAOQH.jpg

The dubliner cheese is very good!! Although I’ve never had it smoked. Report back with results if you do.

I ALWAYS have the Kerrygold butter on hand
I started smoking it last year, it's great. I like the addition of smoke, and the unique texture stays with it after smoking.

Reactions: xray

I did find that if I turned my 5-rack rib rack upside down, it would work great with the turkey pins and hold an amazing amount of cheese.... but it does not fit in my Mini WSM. This smoker drafts so well I'd like to keep using it for cheese. Thinking ahead, the same rack could double for cold or hot smoking jerky using the same turkey pins.

5hRAOQH.jpg
Skewers for shisk

5hRAOQH.jpg
Skewers for making shish kebab. They make short ones & long ones. Made out of metal or wood. only thing I see if cheese is real hard an breaks open from pushing through but to me you solved your own problem. Good deal.

Skewers for shisk

Skewers for making shish kebab. They make short ones & long ones. Made out of metal or wood. only thing I see if cheese is real hard an breaks open from pushing through but to me you solved your own problem. Good deal.
Gotcha. I have all kinds of skewers including some custom flat ones for hanging, so I could position them at the right distance apart to accept the turkey pins with the string cheese. The pins just leave a tiny slit so they are perfect. The lid would not seal, but that's no problem when cold smoking. In fact it might improve draft. The wind on the other hand..... Anyways, good idea! I have some of these half round skewers (which are very stable), and this grill in the photo is the same diameter as my Mini WSM, so I'll give your idea a try. Thanks.

9UGHDhw.jpg

Reactions: buzzy
jN7XyBN.jpg

NLanhvF.jpg
We like the Dubliner as well as their BallyShannon, though I have never smoked either.
I am now thinking the next time I smoke cheese at least one variety of Kerrygold cheese will be
included.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky