Two Butt Cheeks (w/ qview) - SFW

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smoking4fun, May 15, 2015.

1. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

...make a whole butt, right?

Well, I was at Gordon's Food Service this afternoon and decided that $1.59/lb for almost 18 glorious pounds of porky deliciousness was too difficult to pass up...so sign me up for a full 2-cheek butt worth of smoking tomorrow.

Here's the label (yup...that's the price they've been for awhile):

A little side-by-side "moon view":

All rubbed down with my special blend of spices...

They are ready for a nice overnight nap and the early bird gets to smoke all day! More pics to come as this smoke progresses.

2. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

Off to a good start! Enjoy your smoke tomorrow!

3. rmmurray

rmmurray Master of the Pit

:popcorn

4. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

:drool:

5. scorchedporch

scorchedporch Fire Starter

I'm interested to see how it went, seeing I'm in the same spot.  I did the same thing with15 pounds of butt.  Injected with peach juice (from canned peaches), Worcestershire, sugar and salt.  Rubbed them down with prepared mustard and hit'em with Yardbird.

Last Night:

About 2 hours ago at 170*.  The pit is set at 250.

They are at 178* right now and I'm 9 hours in.  A bit of a slog.  I just mopped them about 5 minutes ago.

6. rmmurray

Smoking4fun, can we please have an update?

7. Well ?????

8. rmmurray

In the title it clearly states Q view!
    :worthless

9. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

I didn't end up getting up in time this morning to throw it on, so I'm heading to the kitchen to put it on overnight...sorry for the delay. Hopefully, the extra day in the fridge with the rub will get extra flavor into the meat!

And I'm going to put it on fat cap down for the first time...no foil (not that I have ever foiled before).

10. rmmurray

Why?
    The fat cap won't be doing anything for the meat when it's upside down. Also, it'll melt and cause the whole thing to stick to the grate. The whole shoulder will fall apart when you try to get it off for the rest. (Yes, it happened to me once)
    No foil is fine, please rethink the fat cap.
    -Ryan

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  11. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

I'm still gonna give it a go and see how it works out. I've got my MES30 up to temp (230*) and hickory going on my mailbox mod...and theeeeeeey're off:

12. Nice, Looking Good

Gary

13. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

OK, here we go! I'll check your smoke out tomorrow!

14. the black spot

the black spot Fire Starter

😛

15. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

Those are getting some good bark...looks yumm-a-licious!

16. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

Well, 8 hours in and still going (no surprise)...but I am surprised/worried about my AMNPS. I'm not sure if it's generating enough smoke for the meat to pick up any of the smoke flavor. I checked my AMNPS - just hit 8 hours too - and only 1.5 rows were gone. There is "smoke" coming out the vent of the smoker (hard to tell the difference between steam from the meat or smoke from the wood), and it smelled very slightly of burning wood...but it just doesn't seem like enough smoke to actually add flavor to the meat. I guess we'll see when I finally dig into them, but does anyone have any input on such a slow burn from the AMNPS? And yes, there were still quite a few red-hot cherries still burning in the amnps.

17. davidhef88

davidhef88 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If you can smell it so can the meat. Not sure why it's burning that slow. If you are real concerned, pull it out and light the other end also.

18. rmmurray

Now we're rolling! See what you can accomplish when the rest of the Western world is asleep? 😉
    :popcorn

19. scorchedporch

scorchedporch Fire Starter

They came out great after around 11 hours.  A long haul for sure, but worth it.  @smoking4fun - Can't wait to see what yours ended up like.

20. smoking4fun

smoking4fun Smoke Blower

Holy cow - that looks amazing.  Now my mouth is watering and I can't wait for mine to finish up.  Good job!