Two Butt Cheeks (w/ qview) - SFW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First cheek done at 14 hours...the second one has 4* left to go...it's nice that they're both progressing at almost the same pace.  Just in time for a rest before lunch.

As for the slow-burn of the hickory pellets, I snuck a bite from the bits that were left on the grate after I put it in the pan to rest, so it's the bits right at the surface...and there really isn't even a hint of smoky flavor.  A bit disappointed.  I think I'm going to have to light both ends of the AMNPS next time...or maybe switch to a different type of wood that might burn faster (or at least produce more smoke, anyway).

Pics to follow (after the rest)...

Reactions: disco
Alright...what we've all been waiting for...ok, so I've REALLY been waiting for it (since I ate a light breakfast in anticipation...

Here is the first one after an hour rest...really nice bark on it:

A peek inside:

The fat cap stayed stuck to the rack and released all the meat (I think I'm doing fat cap down from now on!):

A little pulled action:

And the grand prize of all lunches:

Any smoke flavor in the Sammie? That's a great looking lunch! The last two butts I did I removed all of the fat cap more bark more better!(IMO):drool

Any smoke flavor in the Sammie? That's a great looking lunch! The last two butts I did I removed all of the fat cap more bark more better!(IMO):drool

The bark had an awesome smoky flavor, but not so much in the pork itself...so as long as you got a little bark in each bite, you're golden...but no bark, it is still an awesome bit of porkaliciousness so it can't be bad.

Looking good. My last one, (first on new decent smoker),had really tasty smoky bark and an obvious smoke ring, but the penetration was that. Juicy and porky. I think the bark is smoke armour. Yours looks really good.

Nice Looking Pulled Pork, You did a great job.  Mmmmm        
points1.png

Gary

Looks great. I would also like to see that recipe.

Thanks

Ed
This makes for an awesome sauce for pork and fish especially...also great on shrimp tacos.

Pineapple Mango Habanero Hot Sauce

½ cup chopped cilantro

1 Tbsp. sugar

Pinch of salt

3-6 habaneros (de-seeded if you want a little less heat)

3 mango (1-1 ½ cup)

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 pineapple (fresh), sliced

juice from 3-4 limes or 1-2 lemons

1 cup water (use as necessary to control consistency of sauce)

Add everything in blender, transfer to sauce pot and bring to a boil for 10 minutes (or more).  Pour into sanitized bottle/jars.

Alternatively, after initial cook, run through a food mill for a smoother sauce, then bring to a boil one more time (pour hot liquid into hot bottles).

Looks great!

Just curious if you are joking or not.  You do know that they don't come from the hind and are actually from the front shoulder right?

Thanks for the sauce recipe! One of my hobbies is trying to make good hot sauce. That sounds a winner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky