Pulled Pork for the nephew w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
As the title says I cooked PP for our nephews birthday celebration. First off I hate people that work in the meat department when they think they are butchers but they are really stocking clerks. So I go to a local store to get some butts that are on sale. Found them but they weren't cryo packed and they were 4-5lbs each. So I requested help from the clerk. He proceeds to tell me that pork butts are only 4-5lbs and nothing bigger. I kindly disagreed with him. He then picks up a 10ish lb picnic and says well we start with this and cut the butt off of it. At this point I was fuming. So I proceeded to explain that on a whole shoulder there is the picnic and the butt. That the butt is different and they are normally 8-10lbs each and come 2 in a cryo pack. He rolls his eyes but says he will go look. I hear him mumbling to someone in the back and then he emerges with a cryo pack of butts. 18lbs for 2 of them. I said thanks for checking and glad you found it. He then says well really what we do is take the butts and cut steaks and country style ribs off of it then when its 4-5lbs we put in the case as smaller butts. I take what he has and kindly move on without being a jerk even though I wanted to be.

Fast fwd a few days I got the butts out and trimmed most of the thick fat off of it. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that part or rubbing it. But to be honest its kinda personal when a man rubs his meat.

Cooked at 250° the entire time. Started at 1315 and finished at 2200. It was probably done at 2100 but I was watching a moving. @2200 when I checked it was at 207°. Used pineapple juice at the 2 and 6hr mark. Can't use apple because of allergies.

Here it is at the 2hr mark.
2hrs.png

As I was going in and out of the house I noticed the nice TBS flowing up from the canopy that I have covering the smoker in its temp location. If you look its on the top right side of the picture.
tbs.png

Here it is at the 6hr/foiling mark.

6hr b4 wrap.png

Bone pulled out like butter and it just fell apart beautifully.

bone out.png

All pulled

Pulled.png

It looked and tasted great. This was at 10pm and we werent eating until noon the next day. So I took the drippings and put them in the fridge over night. In the morning I took the fat off and broke up the pork jello and put it back over the pork. Added a tad more pineapple juice. Ran out of rub so didn't add anymore which I like to do just to make it pop a bit more. Covered with plastic wrap then foil.

Reheat.png

Reheated at 200° for 1.25 hours. It was nice and juicy. Sorry for no plated picture. We also did beans but did those in the crockpot so that it was easy to transport and warm. Had sweet rolls too and homemade bbq sauce.

All in all it was a great day and enjoyed by all.

Thanks for looking.

Perfect PP! Man, your nephew is lucky😃 I’m impressed with your restraint talking with the stocking clerk🤣 I gotta say until I came to SMF I probably would have nodded and agreed!

Love the TBS shot!

Reactions: bigfurmn
It looks good and I'm sure was enjoyed by all

Great smoke Brian!
The PP looks delicious!
What smoker did you use?
It looks like a Pellet in one photo.
Al

Looks like you did him right. And I totally understand your frustration with the "meat stockers". I have two independent grocery stores that I go to for my meat. They always do me right.
Jim

Looks great.
I agree 100% about the guys in the meat dept. I saw some fish in the case one day and asked the guy if it was fresh. His answer was I don't know it was here when he got there. I took a pass.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Great smoke Brian!
The PP looks delicious!
What smoker did you use?
It looks like a Pellet in one photo.
Al
Al I used a Louisiana SL1000 Pellet Pooper. This is my temp smoking area while we build decks and all. I have a 12x12 canopy then took 16"x'16" pavers that weigh about 40lbs each and drilled a hole in it then lag bolt thru it and the legs bolt down. Makes it nice for the wind.

Brian, that looks outstanding!! Very well done sir and some lucky nephews you have there. I'm up for adoption if you need another nephew though :emoji_wink:

Robert

Brian, that looks outstanding!! Very well done sir and some lucky nephews you have there. I'm up for adoption if you need another nephew though :emoji_wink:

Robert
Robert this is a done deal if you bring the freezer full of meats and the pool.

Everyone thanks for the comments. I know I don't post alot of my cooks but im trying to get back into the habit of it.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks like you did him right. And I totally understand your frustration with the "meat stockers". I have two independent grocery stores that I go to for my meat. They always do me right.
Jim

Since we just moved here I am on the hunt for a good meat provider so that I do not have to talk myself into going there for products.

Looks great.
I agree 100% about the guys in the meat dept. I saw some fish in the case one day and asked the guy if it was fresh. His answer was I don't know it was here when he got there. I took a pass.

That is an awesome answer though but I would have passed also.

So I took the drippings and put them in the fridge over night. In the morning I took the fat off and broke up the pork jello and put it back over the pork.
I'm not familiar with your reference to Pork Jello. Is this the fat that separated from the drippings, or the drippings themselves? Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky