Trying pork chops.......AGAIN!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Pork chops are the only meat that consistantly gives me grief.  The taste is always great, but they always come out dry.  Moist and juicy would be nice.  Actually just moist, not real juicy, would suit me just fine.

I was talking about my problem with Chef Jimmy J, and he said that the secret to moist chops was in the brining.  Now I've never brined pork chops before, so JJ sent me the recipe for his Apple Pork Brine.  

So, off to Costco for a package of Loin center cut pork chops.  I figured since I was firing up the smoker I might as well do 4 chops. That way, Miss Linda and I could have a second meal from one smoke.  I mixed up 1 quart of JJ's brine and filled a gallon zip lock bag with it and 4 chops.

When Miss Linda got home, I discovered that I hadn't been paying attention when she told me that she was leaving for Calgary to see her Dad this weekend.  Hmmmm.  That's a lot of chops for one person.  Oh well.  I left them in the brine for 36 hours, in the fridge, took them out, rinsed them well, and dried them.  Looking good.  About 2" thick.

OK..now we're ready for a good coating of Teddy's Happy Hog Butt Rub.

Now back into the fridge, covered, for 2 hours.  I fired up the MES and let it heat for an hour, getting the temp to sit at a steady 240*. 

For wood, I chose a mix of 50% Maple, 25% Hickory, and 25% Cherry--adds great taste and aroma to the meat.

Let the games begin, it was time to put the meat in the smoker.

I let the chops cook, with smoke, for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 240*, and pulled them out when the IT reached 140*.

Looking good.  But they always look and taste good.  The real question is--are they nice and moist?????

"
With they meat covered and tented, I got the rest of supper ready. Then it was time to eat.  Time to see who had won the struggle this time--the chops or me.

Well, there's only one way to find out---slice off a piece and see if its dry.  Yeah, I know, lousy photography.  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

You can't see it, but the meat is a lovely pink and very MOIST.  Yes!  Moist!!!!!  Thanks to JJ for sharing his brine recipe with me, I have finally achieved a finished product I'm happy with--Dellicious, Moist pork chops.   
yahoo.gif

Thanks for looking

Gary

Last edited:
Looks great and glad to help. Below is what I sent to Gary in a PM...JJ

The Key to Juicy Chops...

1) Double Cut, min 1" with or without the Bone.

2) Brine...Just Salt water or my Apple Brine below.

3) For 225-275* smoke to no more than an IT of 145*, I go 135-140*. If hot and fast, an IT of 135*, Rest both       10 minutes, uncovered.

That's it my Friend. Three Steps...JJ

Apple Pork Brine

2-12oz.Cans Apple Juice Concentrate

1C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4C Molasses

1/4C Mustard

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Pickling Spice (optional)

1T Sage, rubbed

1Gal Water

Combine all and Brine the meat at least over night, 24 hours would be better.

Gary they look great, I just brined a shoulder last Monday and smoked it.Can't believe how much moister it is. Points

Richie 

Great job Gary!

Glad you finally got it right!!

Points!

Al
Hey thanks Al.  I was really getting frustrated with the pork chops.  They always tasted great, but were so dry.  If they had been overcooked too, I would have thought I was still a kid--that's how chops were always cooked at home.  LOL

Thanks for the point.

Gary

Gary, Thanks for the points. I enjoy being here and helping folks out. Teaching was the best work I ever did and miss it. I hear from past students who themselves are successful Pro Chefs now...JJ

Last edited:
Great looking Chops Gary and a fine looking meal   Nice job my friend.    
points1.png

Gary

Nice looking chops I bet you can eat them all now you got your desired results!

Great looking chops. One of the best things about the forums is the sharing of ideas. Points to you and JJ for a great collaberation.

Disco

Looking really, really GOOD...

I`m still in your old shoes with disappointing chops coming out of the MES..

BUT NOW, I`m going to give the brine method a shot.

Hope Springs Eternal.

Love this site..always something new to try.

points.gif

Gary that looks great I will have to give it a try,,, Chef thanks for the brine,, copied and saved 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Thanks for the Points guys. You know what Barney says, " Sharing is Caring! " Thank God my kids are grown and I don't have to watch that Purple Dino anymore...JJ
biggrin.gif

Looking really, really GOOD...

I`m still in your old shoes with disappointing chops coming out of the MES..

BUT NOW, I`m going to give the brine method a shot.

Hope Springs Eternal.

Love this site..always something new to try.

points.gif
Mork, I'm here to tell you, using JJ's brine made a WORLD of difference.  Try it.

Thanks for the point.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky