Trying a new dry rub on some ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Builderofthings

Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Springfield Mo
I wanted to make a spicy dry rub and asked here on SMF what you all suggested and came up with the following.
4 parts salt
3 parts hot paprika
1 part cayanne
1 part mustard
1 part chili powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1 part sugar
2 parts black pepper
zest from a orange,lemon, and lime.

After removing the membrane I had it in pecan smoke for about 1.5 hours spraying with water every 45 min or so. Wrapped it in foil and let it go for about another 1.5 hours until it was tender.

Verdict was a bit too salty, not enough heat and not enough citrus but not horrible. Something to build from. This is the first time I have tried using zest to balance the heat. It seems like a great idea just need to add quite a bit more next time. What do you all think of this rub? How do you think I can better it?

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_135550.jpg
    IMG_20180918_135550.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 64
Experimentation is the essence of cooking. Keep working in it. Lessen the salt to equal parts with pepper and add some pepper flakes but not too much.

Reactions: SonnyE
Taste or not, those ribs look well cooked. As for the rub, looks like a lot went into it. We all have different tastes, so don't stop tinkering until yours is met. Fun to try and try again!!!!

Take notes. so you can add or subtract spices till you find the right mix for your taste.
i have a note book for ribs, brisket, pork shoulder and other meats. i use to just have one notebook but decided it was easier to have a book for each meat.

BOT, Brown sugar instead of sugar as Stu said. Maybe more Cayenne or some habernero dust etc. for more heat. The zest part will your gift to us when you tweak that so it's just right. You'll get a great recipe when you keep trying and making notes.

I wanted to make a spicy dry rub and asked here on SMF what you all suggested and came up with the following.
4 parts salt
3 parts hot paprika
1 part cayanne
1 part mustard
1 part chili powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1 part sugar
2 parts black pepper
zest from a orange,lemon, and lime.

After removing the membrane I had it in pecan smoke for about 1.5 hours spraying with water every 45 min or so. Wrapped it in foil and let it go for about another 1.5 hours until it was tender.

Verdict was a bit too salty, not enough heat and not enough citrus but not horrible. Something to build from. This is the first time I have tried using zest to balance the heat. It seems like a great idea just need to add quite a bit more next time. What do you all think of this rub? How do you think I can better it?

Hi there and welcome!

Ribs are super easy to oversalt, heck it isn't hard to oversalt a lot of cuts that arent giant ones. I would suggest eliminating the salt all together in the mix and then just salting separately before or after you apply the mixed seasonings/rub. This is a sure proof way to get plenty of seasoning on it without oversalting.

I would consider cutting back everything to 1 part with the EXCEPTION of the Black Pepper, keep that at 2 parts.
Doing this will mean you get more Cayenne coverage since an equal part of cayenne to an equal part of anything else should be plenty hot. I imagine your Cayenne is getting drowned out by a current total of 15 parts across 9 different spices not counting the zest.

If you give that a shot I think you can then easily get your heat and then figure out if you want to up one or two ingredients by 1/2 a part to get more of that flavor without severely diluting your cayenne heat.

Let me know if this makes any sense at all :)

Taste or not, those ribs look well cooked. As for the rub, looks like a lot went into it. We all have different tastes, so don't stop tinkering until yours is met. Fun to try and try again!!!!
Ya the worst thing about having to keep trying is eating more ribs.... Gosh its hard work but someone's got to do it!

Experimentation is the essence of cooking. Keep working in it. Lessen the salt to equal parts with pepper and add some pepper flakes but not too much.
Thanks for the tip. I almost used some pepper flakes but I thought it would be to much when you bit into a piece and just got one pepper flake with a lot of flavor and then the next bite not get any flakes. Does that make sense or am I just overthinking it.

Take notes. so you can add or subtract spices till you find the right mix for your taste.
i have a note book for ribs, brisket, pork shoulder and other meats. i use to just have one notebook but decided it was easier to have a book for each meat.
Ya I did just start a notebook with this rub and your idea having a different notebook for each meat is also a good idea.

BOT, Brown sugar instead of sugar as Stu said. Maybe more Cayenne or some habernero dust etc. for more heat. The zest part will your gift to us when you tweak that so it's just right. You'll get a great recipe when you keep trying and making notes.
Good call on the brown sugar. I will have to pick up some habenero dust to kick up the flavor.

Hi there and welcome!

Ribs are super easy to oversalt, heck it isn't hard to oversalt a lot of cuts that arent giant ones. I would suggest eliminating the salt all together in the mix and then just salting separately before or after you apply the mixed seasonings/rub. This is a sure proof way to get plenty of seasoning on it without oversalting.

I would consider cutting back everything to 1 part with the EXCEPTION of the Black Pepper, keep that at 2 parts.
Doing this will mean you get more Cayenne coverage since an equal part of cayenne to an equal part of anything else should be plenty hot. I imagine your Cayenne is getting drowned out by a current total of 15 parts across 9 different spices not counting the zest.

If you give that a shot I think you can then easily get your heat and then figure out if you want to up one or two ingredients by 1/2 a part to get more of that flavor without severely diluting your cayenne heat.

Let me know if this makes any sense at all :)
Thanks for the tip, thats a good call on the salt. Perhaps your right in me adding too many players to the mix and should simplify and add onto that. Thanks for the tips!

Use brownulated sugar,wont clump up if you don't use all of it

Building your Signiture Rub is a gradual process. Mine was found with flavors I like.
SPOG of course, then changing things around, like Lawyer's seasoned salt for regular salt, Cyan to spike the heat, and I like granulated Garlic over powdered Garlic.
Red pepper flakes are more of a visual thing for me. Plus each one is a little burst of heat.
Last time I made my rub, I tried measuring the stuff and came up with 1 TBS of each of my favorite ingredients. Otherwise, I usually just eyeballed it, tasted it, added what needed kicked up.
I use an old seasoning container that has one of those shaker/measuring type tops. Looks like dis.

Building your Signiture Rub is a gradual process. Mine was found with flavors I like.
SPOG of course, then changing things around, like Lawyer's seasoned salt for regular salt, Cyan to spike the heat, and I like granulated Garlic over powdered Garlic.
Red pepper flakes are more of a visual thing for me. Plus each one is a little burst of heat.
Last time I made my rub, I tried measuring the stuff and came up with 1 TBS of each of my favorite ingredients. Otherwise, I usually just eyeballed it, tasted it, added what needed kicked up.
I use an old seasoning container that has one of those shaker/measuring type tops. Looks like dis.
Sounds good, why do you like the granulated garlic as apposed to powdered? For my shaker I just drilled holes in the top of a mason jar and filed off the burrs and it seems to work really well. One thing I am new to this forum what is SPOG? Im guessing salt pepper onion and garlic? but thats just a guess. Thanks for your help!

1C brown or raw sugar
1/2C Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/3C each hot paprika, granulated garlic and granulated onion powders
1/4C cayenne powder or other chile powder(s), e.g. Ancho, Arbol, Guajillo or etc.
1/8C black pepper
1/8C dried citrus zest
2T mustard
1T chile powder of Jalapeno, Serrano or Habenero depending on heat desired

Sounds good, why do you like the granulated garlic as apposed to powdered? For my shaker I just drilled holes in the top of a mason jar and filed off the burrs and it seems to work really well. One thing I am new to this forum what is SPOG? Im guessing salt pepper onion and garlic? but thats just a guess. Thanks for your help!

Salt-pepper-onion-garlic You got that right. I got a pizza cheese shaker I use for my SPOG. There again, I like a 1,1,1,1 ratio. But the cheese shaker has nice big holes in it. Mixing it together seems to work good by getting the ratio consistent every time I choose to use it.
We were at a place called Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I asked one of the girls there about a shaker with bigger holes in it. She said, "What about a cheese shaker?" Perfect! https://www.centralrestaurant.com/Cheese+and+Hot+Pepper+Shakers-pl1117.html

I just like that Granulated Garlic, it seems more "garlicky". Maybe it's a texture thing?
For my ribs, I use Sweet Baby Rays, doctor it with my rub, and add a big gob of Sage Honey, and mix it thoroughly.
I paint my ribs at every turn on the Barby, or paint at the "2" mark when wrapping in foil for the smoker.

Must work, because when I got my MES, I got ordered to not mess with my rib recipe. :confused::mad::( None of them like smoked anything.
I live with a bunch of people that are about as adventuresome as a rock. I have to sneak things in like a smidgen of Cyan. Bunch of candy arses. o_O

I really like 3,2,1 Ribs. Fall offah da bone yummie! But I do those when cooking for me, myself, and I, and my dog. He loves anything I share with him.

But basically, take the flavors YOU love, and work them together in your rub. And you will find your perfect favorite rub.
Trouble comes from folks loving your rub on your ribs. They handcuff you to a method and flavor.

I'd like to get some powdered honey to experiment with... But don't tell anybody. ;) LOL!
I ordered a 3 pound can of it. My thought is to add it to my rub... And the plot thickens. :rolleyes: LMAO!

Reactions: Builderofthings
I'd like to get some powdered honey to experiment with... But don't tell anybody. ;) LOL!
I ordered a 3 pound can of it. My thought is to add it to my rub... And the plot thickens. :rolleyes: LMAO!

SonnyE,

i use the powdered honey on my ribs and brisket there is a difference from brown suger to the honey. my group i cook for loves the honey better then the brown sugar. I have also used it on my pork butt to get the spicy, sweet taste and that was great! Only problem is no left overs !!

Reactions: SonnyE
SonnyE,

i use the powdered honey on my ribs and brisket there is a difference from brown suger to the honey. my group i cook for loves the honey better then the brown sugar. I have also used it on my pork butt to get the spicy, sweet taste and that was great! Only problem is no left overs !!

I think you are where I got the bug in my head from. LMAO! :rolleyes:
I have a 3 pound can coming from Augustine Farms, via ebay. Again, that bug from you, I believe.

Curious; Do you find the powdered honey remains dry in your rubs? Or will it draw moisture and become clumpy?
It's new to me, so my inquiring mind wants to know. :D;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky