trouble with pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hammertime-74

Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Northeast Indiana
Looking for some suggestions and tips for my next pulled pork attempt. I am using a Smoke Hollow electric smoker. I put on a 9 pound butt last night at 240 degrees. It was maintaining a temp of 215-225. I left it on the smoker for 14 1/2 hours until internal temp was at 185. I pulled it off and wrapped it in foil and placed in a cooler for about 90 minutes. After letting it rest for the 90 minutes, I opened it up to start to pull. I found that the meat was still juicy, but it was not very tender. I had a harder time than normal pulling the bone out. It still tasted good, but it wasnt as tender as it has been in the past. I am not sure why, because I did it the same was as I have in the past with no issues. Any help with what might have been the issue on this so that I dont have this problem next time. Thank you in advance..

Hi hammer,

I usually start to probe for tenderness for pulled pork at 200F. Pork is very forgiving so you could go a few degrees higher.

I think that’s why you had a hard time pulling your pork apart. The IT was low...but at 185 you could have some nice tender slices.

A pork shoulder needs a long time to get to the 200° internal temperature that I use plus a nice rest until you pull the blade.

I'm trying to figure out how you started a pork thread in a beef forum, twice.

Hi hammer,

I usually start to probe for tenderness for pulled pork at 200F. Pork is very forgiving so you could go a few degrees higher.

I think that’s why you had a hard time pulling your pork apart. The IT was low...but at 185 you could have some nice tender slices.

Thanks for the feedback. And actually yes, slicing it is exactly what we ended up doing with it. I will try and be a little more patient next time and wait till its closer to that 200 mark.

185F is WAY too low for pulled pork unless it was at that temp for hours and hours. Too much connective tissue left which makes it tough. 200F-207F should be where you probe for tenderness.
I guess it was just dumb luck in my previous attempts and having success at that temp. I will surely wait till it tops the 200 IT mark next time. Thanks for the feedback. It is very appreciated.

I guess it was just dumb luck in my previous attempts and having success at that temp. I will surely wait till it tops the 200 IT mark next time. Thanks for the feedback. It is very appreciated.

Not necessarily dumb luck. I've had one pork butt that never got above 189F IT, but it stayed there for hours. I thought it was just a long second stall but it practically fell apart when I tried to pick it up. Some butts are just plain ornery.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky