Smoked Pork Steaks with Monroe County Vinegar Dip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Curious as to whether you would consider a lower IT.. I've been taking my pork to 140 or 145 and it's still pretty juicy, but, cooked to a safe temp. In no way, shape, or form am I knocking your thread in any way as your steaks look great.

We cook chops, loins etc to that temp. But steaks are cut from the butt and there is too much fat to render at that temp. They end up very chewy and gross.

Reactions: IH 1026 and chopsaw
Watched a video on YouTube the other day about the Kentucky BBQ trail and they were grilling pork steaks over hickory and then dipping them in a hot vinegar sauce.

I rubbed down with Jeff's rub, then smoked on the Pit Boss to about 160 IT. Then cranked the temp to 350 until they hit 185. We let them sit in foil a little long so they were a bit overcooked, but with hickory pellets in the AMAZEN tube they were incredible!! Served with the hot dip, garden fresh brushetta, and corn on the cob. All done on the grill but the dip.
View attachment 452049View attachment 452050View attachment 452051View attachment 452048
Thanks for looking!
Came across this thread. I'm originally from Monroe Co. (Tompkinsville) KY where thin sliced pork shoulder at 1/4" to 5/8" is the king of BBQ. It isn't smoked but actually grilled over hickory coals and mopped with a spicy vinegar-based sauce and is life changing!

Here is my T-Ville Sauce Recipe
2 qts distilled white vinegar
1/4 lb unsalted butter
1/4 lb lard ... YES lard
4 tbsb kosher salt
1 tbsb cayenne pepper (more until desired hotness is reached)
2 tbsb black pepper
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup ketchup

Mix all together and simmer for 30-45 minutes
mop on or dip meat with sauce and serve

Came across this thread. I'm originally from Monroe Co. (Tompkinsville) KY where thin sliced pork shoulder at 1/4" to 5/8" is the king of BBQ. It isn't smoked but actually grilled over hickory coals and mopped with a spicy vinegar-based sauce and is life changing!

Here is my T-Ville Sauce Recipe
2 qts distilled white vinegar
1/4 lb unsalted butter
1/4 lb lard ... YES lard
4 tbsb kosher salt
1 tbsb cayenne pepper (more until desired hotness is reached)
2 tbsb black pepper
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup ketchup

Mix all together and simmer for 30-45 minutes
mop on or dip meat with sauce and serve
Thanks for sharing. Love pork steaks and the sauce sounds good. They are on sale at the local Savealot this week too.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
KY where thin sliced pork shoulder at 1/4" to 5/8"

I am with Jeff jcam222 jcam222 , we are all about the pork steaks and chops around here also.
And unless special order ( and that is hard to do mostly ) that is the thickness you find in all the stores around here.

I have found thick chops once in a while and those i like to pocket and stuff.

I really want to try this sauce. Thanks for your post , now comparing yours and the OP one.

David

Love pork steaks 1/2" thick cooked on the Weber with hickory shag bark, Mccormic's maple rub, going to make up some of this dipping sauce to try next time, love my pellet smoker but not close to a live coal/hickory bark cook.

Reactions: chopsaw
hickory shag bark,
Thought about you last Thursday , ( not in a weird way )
Cut grass at my Mom's . She has 3 hickory trees in her side lot . Shag bark ripe for the picking .
I need to fill a bag .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky