Tried a Hawaiian Theme meal= Thank God for the Cake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Tried a Hawaiian Theme meal= Thank God for the Cake

Wanted to make a nice Hawaiian theme meal with mozza burger and a Teriyaki Pineapple Mayo, this turned out very nice.
And I have made my Bacon /cheese/pineapple donuts before , and talked about on another thread with Jeff jcam222 jcam222 that
it might be good as a Hamburger bun, so I made the donuts and filled the tins a little more to cover the donut hole, they were great also
BUT as a burger bun....NOT SO MUCH. lol live and learn as I say way too much lately. Here are some pics

1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG

Grilled up some fresh beef patties, bacon and fresh grilled pineapple, so far so good It was 3 deg. "C" here ( not sure where the picture with the cheese went.)

4.JPG

Made the Teriyaki pineapple and mayo , Mayo. Sliced up the donuts. Added lettuce, mayo, mozza, bacon B+B pickle and tomato's and red onions

5.JPG 6.JPG
7.JPG

8.JPG

So this where it went down hill, the donuts by themselves ..fantastic, nice texture, lots of flavors with the cheese, pineapple, and bacon and all the spices
but as a burger bun. Too sweet and over powers the burger flavors and cannot handle the pressure of being a bun for a burger , Just fell all to pieces and

a few choice curse words...wish I had a back up bun . Mona was smarter than I. ( always is, just ask her ) she just used bread for the burger. I ate mine with out the bun
after I cleaned up my hands and face.

Tried to make Potato Fritters also, They just turned out to be Bad/Bland potato blobs. I should just follow recipes instead of adding or trying something different
as seen in the picture above on the plate with the burger and cherry tomatoes....they really sucked. After a couple of chews , went in the garbage

SO for the star of the meal. .Hawaiian Splendor Cake I think I have mentioned this before . It is Mona's favorite cake that I make . I normally do this in a 9" x 13" pan and it is for squares. This time I wanted to make a cake . Had extra batter so also made mini muffins.
The cake batter is made using crushed pineapple as the liquid, it is a very refreshing and very moist cake, with a thick Golden Frosting ( German Glaze I was told ) made from boiled down condensed can milk

9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG
12.JPG

13.JPG

Making the frosting, butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, chopped walnuts, flaked sweetened coconut

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

Can you tell I like my sweets

17.JPG

Like I said thank god for the Cake, as the rest of the meal . back to the drawing board for it .

Thanks for reading and looking at the pics, I will do better next time ...lol

Don't get me wrong I still ate it , just not the way I thought I would ..Sorry no the potatoes went in the garbage

David

Sorry David…sometimes not everything works out as planned, the burgers and all (minus the doughnut) look real good. You don’t learnt if you don’t try.

We have a ski/snowboard saying at our house. “If you don’t fall you are not trying hard enough.” I believe that in most things most of the time.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That cake looks fantastic . Good idea on the burger . Do you have a Red Robin burger chain up there ? They have a " Banzai " burger on the menu . Same theme as what you have going . I've done a recreation . It's good .
A for effort .

David, not all meals work out the way we visualize them. Trust me, I am a poster child for that! That being said, I’d have got my fill with an awesome meal like that!

Thanks for sharing David, like others stated not everything always works out...but how else would you ever know??? The cake looks amazing..its no wonder its Mona's favorite one that you make!

chopsaw chopsaw is right....that banzai burger from red robin is awesome! Ive also recreated it many times. Because its so sweet I usually add sliced jalapeno to mine..it really balances the flavors out! 😋

Great go at it David! I appreciate sharing it! It’s always a bummer when all that time snd effort is put into something that doesn’t quite work! But awesome effort and I think it looks tasty! Glad the cake was a home run!

Been there done that too!
Glad the cake turned out well, but honestly the sandwich looked real good in the pic, but I don’t think my mouth would open that far to get a good bite!
Al

Thanks for sharing David! You make a ton of great food so nothing ventured, nothing gained! And don't worry...I was laughing with you, not at you...or was that cussing! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Sorry David…sometimes not everything works out as planned, the burgers and all (minus the doughnut) look real good. You don’t learnt if you don’t try.

We have a ski/snowboard saying at our house. “If you don’t fall you are not trying hard enough.” I believe that in most things most of the time.

Thanks Dave for the comment, and I'm good with the donut not working out for the burger. Just thought it would. It's a great donut and it was a great burger . Just not as a combo, lol

And yes there are always some fails when trying , but at least try.

David

That cake looks fantastic . Good idea on the burger . Do you have a Red Robin burger chain up there ? They have a " Banzai " burger on the menu . Same theme as what you have going . I've done a recreation . It's good .
A for effort .

Thanks Rich for the like and the comment

The cake is great. The idea was good just not the combonation of the 2 . lol

No I have not heard of Red Robin, will have to look them up. Are they in Florida, we go there a lot.

Banzai Burger.. I will look for that when I look them up

David

David, not all meals work out the way we visualize them. Trust me, I am a poster child for that! That being said, I’d have got my fill with an awesome meal like that!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment
Love that " poster child ". :emoji_grin:

I was full also, just with the burgers and no bun, or them terrible taters. And lots of cake. :emoji_yum:

I still ate the donuts all week in my lunch box for work, they are great as a donut

David

David that cake is luscious and far out weighs the twist on the earlier experiment!

Thanks Jeff for the comment

Yes the cake ( normally just squares in a pan so the glaze stays on top till set ) is very fresh
and moist, especially if placed in the fridge.

Ha , and like I said thank god for cake

David

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks for sharing David, like others stated not everything always works out...but how else would you ever know??? The cake looks amazing..its no wonder its Mona's favorite one that you make!

chopsaw chopsaw is right....that banzai burger from red robin is awesome! Ive also recreated it many times. Because its so sweet I usually add sliced jalapeno to mine..it really balances the flavors out! 😋

Thanks Travis for the like and the comment

You are right , that is how we also learn if something is right or not.
I have been making this as squares for many years for her, only couple times a year though,

The jalapeno's would be good , but even the texture of the donut just not strong enough for a bun, but will work on it some more. :emoji_grin:

David

Great go at it David! I appreciate sharing it! It’s always a bummer when all that time snd effort is put into something that doesn’t quite work! But awesome effort and I think it looks tasty! Glad the cake was a home run!

Thanks Jed for the like and the comment

Yes lots of work , but we all know this kind of work is fun , and normally great rewards.

It all got eaten , just not how I intended it . lol ( except the tater blobs, they found a home in the garbage)

David

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Been there done that too!
Glad the cake turned out well, but honestly the sandwich looked real good in the pic, but I don’t think my mouth would open that far to get a good bite!
Al

Thanks Al for the comment

Yes, I have a few times, I was not going to post it but wanted to show the cake so said what the hay, show my goofs also.

It was a great looking burger , until I picked it up and tried to eat it, than things were all over the place, falling apart and the flavors just cover the great flavors of the fresh burger and the Teriyaki mayo

David

Thanks for sharing David! You make a ton of great food so nothing ventured, nothing gained! And don't worry...I was laughing with you, not at you...or was that cussing! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

That is very nice of you to say , love trying new things as you have noticed before , they all can't win ,but fun trying
No problem, I was mad and cussing....than it was just funny that I could have so much food all over me and the table trying to eat it .
Awww fun times :emoji_angry:, :emoji_grin::emoji_grin::emoji_laughing:

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky