Tri Tip with tx smoker Chimichurri

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
On our recent Texas camping trip, while in Austin, we had a wonderful visit with Robert (tx smoker) and his lovely wife Tracey. We truly enjoyed getting to know Robert and Tracey and enjoyed a great meal that Robert prepared for us. The star of the meal was a perfectly reversed seared CPB Tri Tip with homemade Chimichurri.
This week I visited The Old Fashion Butcher Shop in Newburgh, IN. A good friend of mine along with a few others opened this shop a couple of months ago. I never had access to good Tri Tip before now and it was such a treat to have the butcher cut me a Tri Tip while I waited.
So tonight for dinner in honor of Tx smoker I reversed seared my Tri Tip on my Rec Teq Bullseye.
My wife made roasted potatoes with onions, snow peas and Chimichurri made using Robert’s recipe (so good).
After the sear
5C48B6E7-C24F-4A71-AE1A-6BDB265F771B.jpeg

Money Shot
2D870D53-E895-4856-BBB5-4FDF9A92D62D.jpeg

The plate (1st of my 3)
D0804F61-1FF9-4188-8635-FF5F5FBFF100.jpeg

What a great meal. Thanks for looking.
Johnny Ray

Looks good. My family loves Tri tip and my wife makes the Chimichurri sauce and we all love. Such a good cut of meat for the price!

Looks fantastic!! Your really nailed the tri tip , done perfectly for my taste and I love chimichurri. One of the days I’m going to have to visit tx smoker tx smoker too.

Looks Great Johnny. Perfectly cooked and great Char. We've been doing TT at least once a month, noww that I'm able to get them. Great job.

Johnny Johnny Johnny...what a beautiful meal!! That looks absolutely superb my friend. Like Brian though, I've never seen a fat cap like that n a tri tip. I can only imagine it rendered some fantastic flavor and juiciness into the meat. Beautiful job all around and kudos to Lyn for putting some good side dishes down. The chimichurri however I cannot take credit for. That came to me via Joe ( xray xray ) a while back. If you have any pics though I'd love to see that porterhouse. Something about cooking one of those at the camp site is just intriguing.

Robert

Reactions: xray
love TT and Chimichurri! nice work! I never see TT with fat caps in my region...like I havent seen over except in pics here.

That sure looks mighty good...inside and out ! Great char and color. What did you use for seasoning ?

Beautiful piece of work on that tri, big Like! When I lived in CA I'd score tri's with a fat cap like that, labeled as "untrimmed", a buck a pound cheaper. Cooked with the cap intact they had far better flavor. RAY

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky