Tri Tip: smoked and reverse seared - best one yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
My wife who doesnt like "bloody beef" (it a genetic disorder for sure) is out of town. I was shopping our home freezer section and found a tri tip from last Nov I prepped for SV (seasoned and vacuum sealed) - never got to it over the winter with all the surgeries and such. But its 100 degrees out now and I thawed it and ran with it. No idea what rub i used. normally I write it on the bag, but I didnt. still rolling with it. 18 hour thaw, smoked at 180 for about 1.5 hours then kicked it up to 240. Pulled it at about 125-130 give or take. Off the smoker and directly to the gasser at 450, bout 1.5 min per side. rested about 10 min then started to consume. Might be the best tri tip I ever made. I was worried about it sitting in the rub so long thawing - I wont worry about that again.
almost done smokin
IMG_8327.jpg

Just off the sear
IMG_8328.jpg

Cut...OMG so good. Perfectly "bloody as hell" (to quote pulp fiction)
IMG_8330.jpg

Perfection....and I can’t believe you didn’t call me to come over to help consume it! LOL!

Nice Dave, that’s just how I like them. A triTip like that and you almost don’t need sides, just dive in and munch!

Hey. That looks pretty darn good from here.
Thank you
Looks like a beauty!
Thank you
Very nice Dave, crust and smoke ring :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
( just how your wife loves it , not )

David
Running it at 180 makes a good smoke ring. Run a TT to hot for the first hour and its done before you know it (too soon)
That is killer Dave!
Perfectly done for our taste!
Al
Thanks Al! I get nervous about overshooting the doneness. But this was easy and delish
That looks perfect . Nice work .

Lol . I have the sound track . It has quotes from the movie in between the tracks . Took me by surprise the first time the Robbery at the diner came blasting through the speakers .
Thanks! Ha I have that sounds track too. too funny
Man Dave, that looks outstanding!! Very well done sir...and perfectly cooked for my tastes :emoji_wink:

Robert
The doneness could not have been more spot on. I spaced the plated pic because I was eating before I hit the table. Had it with gazpacho and pita bread.
Perfection....and I can’t believe you didn’t call me to come over to help consume it! LOL!
I knew I was "forgetting" something. bahaha
Excellent!
Jim
thanks Jim
Nice Dave, that’s just how I like them. A triTip like that and you almost don’t need sides, just dive in and munch!
It was hard to push in the sides - but they were light. Gazpacho and pita.

Awesome excuse to have some amazing meat, and very bloody, just the way I like it. Excellent cook for sure.

My wife is gone for the weekend and I'm making pizza with real dough, none of that cauliflower pizza this weekend, and I'm going to smoke it too. :).

Most excellent looking TT Dave. Perfectly done.

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome excuse to have some amazing meat, and very bloody, just the way I like it. Excellent cook for sure.

My wife is gone for the weekend and I'm making pizza with real dough, none of that cauliflower pizza this weekend, and I'm going to smoke it too. :).
I cant have these any other way - its just wrong :)
Awesome job on that tri tip!

Ryan
thanks Ryan
Most excellent looking TT Dave. Perfectly done.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris
Man oh man…that looks awesome!
Great job!
Many thanks
Mighty Tasty!!!
That's how it Looks!!
Nice Job Dave!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear
A fine piece of work there Dave, looks to be spot on! RAY
Many thanks Ray!
Looks perfectly done and delicious, Dave.
Thank you!
Now that is one perfectly cooked TT, nice job Dave!
thanks!

I get stressed about the doneness. Kills me when I overshoot anything, but especially beef I want medium rare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky