Trevor's first Pork Butts - The future of BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 23, 2010
Prince George, Va.
Good morning SMF!

Well, Trevor and I got up at 0500 to get things going this morning to start his first pork butt smoke!

Last night we mixed up the rub and rubbed two 7 pound pork butts.

We fired up the smoker and for some reason we are getting more heavy white smoke than I have ever seen since I started using the WSM!

Trevor went out to adjust the vents.

I'm really proud that Trevor has taken an interest in smoking.  I'm not sure why we are getting so much smoke but he knows to wait it out until the smoke thins out.

Stick with us today.  We will update as we can.  

It's great that he is taking an interest in smoking...JJ

It looks like we are on similar paths today.  I will be keeping an eye on your progress today too.  Good to hear the joys of smoking are being passed on and will be in good hands.  Joe

Last edited:
Here are a few shots of prep!  A little extra rub before they go on the smoker!  Not a great shot here...sorry.

The smoke finally thinned out but because it was still very cool outside it looked pretty heavy when we opened the lid to put the butts on!

So me and the T-man decided we would run the pit at about 250 today to see if we could push through the stall quicker!

At about 4 hours were are at 156 IT and a pit temp of 248.

Looking good so far!  Unfortunately, also at 4 hours in I lost my pitmaster!  LOL  You guys all know the "I'm just gonna rest my eyes" trick don't ya!  
yahoo.gif
Good thing the ol' man was still vertical!

Bill

Last edited:
Looking good Bill. Nothing wrong with resting your eyes for a few. As long as your alarms are set on the MAV, nap away, that's the best part about dropping the money it.

Lookin' good so far, Bill and Trevor.  Hey, a pitmaster's gotta take a little break every now and then...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Looking good, Bill!  I think you had the same problem as I did this morning.  That extra smoke was likely just water vapor condensing due to the temperature differential.  Until the sun warmed thins up, I just had to look really closely at what was coming out of the stack to see if it was heavy with creosote or was thinner smoke.

Looking good!  Your ahead of me.  I am running at about 235 degrees today and am up to an internal temp of 147 degrees now.  They are looking good at last check.  I pushed through the sleepy time by myself and after my three cups of coffee this morning and 5 trips to the bathroom I am wired for the day.

Looking good!  Your ahead of me.  I am running at about 235 degrees today and am up to an internal temp of 147 degrees now.  They are looking good at last check.  I pushed through the sleepy time by myself and after my three cups of coffee this morning and 5 trips to the bathroom I am wired for the day.
I'm normally a 225 - 240 guy but we wanted to try something a little different!

We trimmed the fat cap completely off as there was great marbeling in the butts.

I am sticking with one thing though....I will only open it once for a picture and not again til they're done!  I'll take that pic in about 2 hours.

Hmmm....something strange is occurring.

The pit temp has gone to 275 with ALL dampers completely closed...

Looks like its time to start fixing leaks...dang it.

Yeah, mine has been a little temperamental today as well.  Looks like it's off to the hardware store for a bottle of Rutland this week.

I am here waiting and watching!  Wake the Pit master up!!!!  Use a bull horn if you have too!  
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif
  Kat

Looking good!!!

Kids these days!!!!!!!!

Craig

Alright folks!  Less than 12 hours for two seven pound pork butts!!

Cooked to an IT of 200 and they are perfect, juicy, and tender...

We got in a hurry and didn't take quite as many pics but here they are!

Beautifully clean bone!

Took a pound to my inlaws, froze about three pounds and this is about a pound and a half left for our dinner, plus there is still one butt left to pull!!!!

This was finished off with my NC dip, or finishing sauce to some, which really brings out the flavor of the pork!!!  Recipe is below.

3 Quarts of Apple Cider Vinegar

1 cup Ketchup (Catsup)

5 oz. Worsty sauce

10 oz. French's yellow mustard

3/4 cup salt (I use sea salt but regular iodized is fine) - I also usually cut back on the salt

1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper

1/2 oz crushed red pepper

4 oz of your favorite hot sauce (I cut back on the red pepper and hot sauce depending on the audience and it doesn't affect flavor)

Mix all ingredients in a large pot and bring it to a boil.  Once it boils it is ready for use as a mop or for canning.  

Makes about 1 gallon, which is enough to mop a 70 pound pig.

Enjoy,

Bill

Reactions: seenred
Looks great!!! But what's up with the pit master sleeping on the job!!

Keep in mind that even at the higher temps you can still have the butts take longer. My last two went 20+ hours at 265* !!! I've been doing a lot of higher temp smoking and I am really enjoying the results!

Great job, Bill and Trevor!  That's some tasty lookin' PP for sure...and thanks for sharing the finishing sauce recipe.

points.gif
to you both!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky