Trevor's first Pork Butts - The future of BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for sharing your smoke today.  Mine finished up about 3:30 or so this afternoon.  Got my 4 eight pounders done in less than 12 hours too.  Yours look great and I know they were fantastic.  Thanks for sharing the finishing sauce.  It looks and sounds really good.  I'm going to file it back with my things to try on a future smoke.  Glad to see that Trevor came back to life. Joe

Thanks folks!

We certainly had a good time smoking together, when mom wasn't insisting we clean something.

Bill

It is a beautiful thing to have a "special" activity that you do with your kid. Trevor will carry some great memories forward of these smokey times. Plus, learning an awesome new skill from a Master!

His pork butts look fabulous!

Clarissa

Nice work Bill and Trevor.

Question for you, how long from the time you "pulled" from the smoker and when you started "pulling" meat? Did you do the whole towel wrap/cooler procedure?

The reason I ask is that I did a 7 pound boneless today and after 11 hours (last 3 tented in foil) when I tried to take Porky from the pan to then try and wrap up for an hour in the cooler, it was already starting to fall apart on me.

Thanks and good eatin'. Eats.

Last edited:
It is a beautiful thing to have a "special" activity that you do with your kid. Trevor will carry some great memories forward of these smokey times. Plus, learning an awesome new skill from a Master!

His pork butts look fabulous!

Clarissa
Thanks Clarissa!  We do enjoy our time together and he is always full of questions, which is good because I'm always full of sh....um information!  LOL
Nice work Bill and Trevor.

Question for you, how long from the time you "pulled" from the smoker and when you started "pulling" meat? Did you do the whole towel wrap/cooler procedure?

The reason I ask is that I did a 7 pound boneless today and after 11 hours (last 3 tented in foil) when I tried to take Porky from the pan to then try and wrap up for an hour in the cooler, it was already starting to fall apart on me.

Thanks and good eatin'. Eats.
Hi Eats,

The butts were at 200* IT when we removed from the smoker and we had to be real careful.  If you look at the pic of T, you will see that he is trying to get both hands underneath the pork.  We did not wrap and towel and cooler because we were planning to eat some immediately and freeze the rest for later!

So, we placed the butts in an aluminum pan and covered with foil for about 2 hours before pulling.  We double gloved and pulled - it was still a little hot but not unbearable and pulled apart very easily.

Only one thing that wasn't completely the way I liked it...I would like more smoke on the meat, so on the next "hot" smoke I will keep adding the hickory and cherry until the end.

Bill

Only one thing that wasn't completely the way I liked it...I would like more smoke on the meat, so on the next "hot" smoke I will keep adding the hickory and cherry until the end.

Bill
Bill,

On the last butts I did, I ran the smoke (AMNTS in the GOSM) for 16 of the 20 hours. It was well worth it and there was great smoke flavor but not over smokey. Was primarily cherry with some apple mixed in.

I had the same (actually a whole lot of white smoke...) that was because i forgot to open the top damper. It did settle down once i got more air in. Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for posting this, I hope i dont have the same problem next time, but if i do, i will be refering to this post. Thanks again PG

Bill,

On the last butts I did, I ran the smoke (AMNTS in the GOSM) for 16 of the 20 hours. It was well worth it and there was great smoke flavor but not over smokey. Was primarily cherry with some apple mixed in.
Nice family project, keep up the good work
Thanks Sound1.
I had the same (actually a whole lot of white smoke...) that was because i forgot to open the top damper. It did settle down once i got more air in. Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for posting this, I hope i dont have the same problem next time, but if i do, i will be refering to this post. Thanks again PG
My pleasure as always!  Not sure why I got such heavy smoke this time...smoked up the whole house.  I'm thinking it must have been something with the charcoal...never happened before.  It was also really cool outside, and dark when we started the fire so that may have played a role.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Bill

Ohh good one! That's the story I'm going to sick to....it WAS the charcoal :)
LOL!  Yep...bad batch I'm thinkin!  
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky