• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

To soak or not to soak?

ricer2231

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Do you soak your chips or do you not soak your chips? Advantages/disadvantages of soaking and vice versa.

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
When you smoke wood you get steam not smoke till they dry out. I prefer smoked meat over steamed.:biggrin:

gr0uch0

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 30, 2016
X2 on dry wood. Grilling quickly at high temps, I can go with soaked chips. Long, low smokes and wet wood leads to creosote and bitter taste on the product.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
The concept of Soaking Chips goes back to tossing chips of a hot fire, charcoal or wood embers. The wet chips cools the surface of the fire and lets the chips smoke rather than flame up right off. So these wet chips have been used for generations and is useful with wood and charcoal smokers. Now, at some point, the New Fangled Electric and Gas smokers come out and folks keep soaking basically because, " that's the way Dad and Grandpa does it in their smokers. I guess I should soak my chips too..." And soaking just keeps being passed on even though it is not needed in the cooler chip tray of electrics and gassers because even dry chips are not likely to flair up ...JJ

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Agree with the above!

Don't soak!

Al

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.