to roll or not !.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tatties n neeps

Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Edinburgh , Scotland , UK..
hello people , question ? , got a boned / rolled pork shoulder for smoking this weekend,

it came with the skin on so i unrolled it to remove the skin , now what ?

do i roll in up again to smoke or leave it open ?

this will be my first time smoking a bit of meat and i don`t want to mess it up so please help .

thanks mike.

Put the skin back on and roll it back up and tie it. Take the skin off later. You dont say how big it is or if you want it for slicing or pulled pork that makes a huge difference in what temp to smoke it to. For slicing I would take it off at about 150 and for pulling about 190-200* F 

And by the way say high to my nephew that lives in Edinburgh.

she is on ! up to 140*f after 2hr 40min , foiled at 160*f after 2hrs is this to fast ? now sitting at 176*f......

sorry should say 1 hr of the time to get to 140* was to get to room temp . all other times will be taken from when she went on.

Sounds good.

On a food safety side I never let the meat come to room temp before it goes in the smoker. Once the meat goes over 40 degrees the clock starts. I will have my smoker hotter to compensate for the solid cold mass that will go in it, then back down on the heat after about an hour. If I read correctly it was deboned and you rolled it back up? That is great and will help with the moisture. But remember that it needs to be treated like a compromised piecs of meat, not whole muscle. From your post it is well ahead of the curve at 140 in 1 hr cook + counter time? As long as the counter time was under 3hrs you are golden.

Sounds like you are on your way to a great smoke. Don't forget the Q-view for those of use who are not able to smoke today to droooool over...

here`s some pic`s from my first smoke . done on a stick burner . pork done in 3.5 hrs ribs in 5hrs , everything tasted good but slightly dry , was hoping for pulled pork ! maybe next time.

think i was running to hot , ribs and pork done with a Kansas City style dry rub and finished with a Kansas City sauce,

is that TBS ?.

Q temp @ 290*F but grill temp on digital probe only 240*F

notice the liquid in the bottom of the smoker , the foil split on my pork when i moved it !.

Last edited:
Still looks good...

What temp was the shoulder? You usually want to be around 200-205 for pulling. I will rest mine at 195 to take advantage of the carry over cooking. I like to pull mine to still be chunks not shredded. It will shread a bit more as I mix it with the finishing sauce.

Keep going for it it looked good.

hi jarjarchef, i let the pork go to 210*f as thought it had cooked to fast (3,5 hrs) then left to rest , it climbed to 217*f for 1.5 hrs , think my temp must of been to high all through the cooking or the size of the meat was to small !. any tips on cooking small bits of meat 3lbs and under ? as my smoker is that small (50 liters ) it would fit inside most peoples smokers haha.

hi jarjarchef, i let the pork go to 210*f as thought it had cooked to fast (3,5 hrs) then left to rest , it climbed to 217*f for 1.5 hrs , think my temp must of been to high all through the cooking or the size of the meat was to small !. any tips on cooking small bits of meat 3lbs and under ? as my smoker is that small (50 liters ) it would fit inside most peoples smokers haha.

Would you be able to fit a butt in there? More fat marbling to get a better pull and moisture in the meat.

What I see from the pics is it looks like there was not much moisture in the chamber. I have in the past smoked the meat to about 150-160 (depends on the stall). Then in a pan I will julianne some onions to form a bed to place the pork on. Put a bit of finishing liquid of your choice (I use 1/2c beer, 1/4c apple cidar vinegar, 2Tbl rub seasoning and 1/4c apple juice), next wrap with plastic wrap then foil. Place in the smoker or oven at 225-250 till it reaches 200-210. Using tongs or a fork i will poke at the pork to see if it is wanting to fall apart, if not back in the oven or smoker till it is. Then I let it sit on the counter for about 30min to cool a bit. I will pick through the pork to get the stuff out I don't want and then shread the rest by hand. You can use the onions and juices at the bottom of the pan mixed with a little of your favorite BBQ sauce (just enough to get it a bit of concistancy, you still want it to be a broth like) to add to the pork as a final finishing sauce.

hi folks ,thanks roller, had alot of moisture in the pork wrap but it split ! and ended up in the bottom of my smoker so next time double wrap and keep the juice in. don`t know about a butt fitting in my smoker , unless i can find a small one about 4-5lbs , will need to find a butcher who will do one for me but will be exspencive. whole cuts of  meat are exspensive over here , a 10lb cut of beef brisket or whole one (if you can find one ) will cost about $70-100.  so alot of cash to waste if you mess up your smoking process . that small boned shoulder i just smoked cost $8 so no hardship messing that up .

was thinking could i have left the pork unrolled and cook like you do with ribs ?.

any of you guy`s tried oxtail , shin or shank ?

thanks for the comments .

mike.

ps. jarjarchef that finishing sauce sounds real good .

Last edited:
Haven't smoked oxtails, we braise them.  I would smoke them for 2 or three hours at 220, then foil with quite a bit of liquid to get a braise effect.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky