Tips for Smoking a Low-Quality Brisket for Best Outcome

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougtreasa

Original poster
Jul 6, 2020
Novice smoker here (4 years on a Yoder YS640).
My wife picked up a couple of very cheap briskets that were on sale and I am hoping someone has a tip or two for getting the best outcome from a low-grade brisket. Anything you would do differently on these vs a higher grade of meat?

Thank you in advance!

(I know . . . cheap is as cheap does!)

I would definitely recommend and injection of some type. Base of beef broth and what ever flavors you might like to go with it. I am sure you can get some more input from others on here or use the search feature.

I know not everyone would probably agree but I would also wrap part way through if you have a cheaper cut. Can also add more liquid, seasoning, butter etc. at that time.

Novice smoker here (4 years on a Yoder YS640).
My wife picked up a couple of very cheap briskets that were on sale and I am hoping someone has a tip or two for getting the best outcome from a low-grade brisket. Anything you would do differently on these vs a higher grade of meat?

Thank you in advance!

(I know . . . cheap is as cheap does!)
Whole packer? Point? Or Flat?

Reactions: TNJAKE
We need more info as stated above.

BUT - the quality is not directly related to the cost. Ive booked a prime brisket that was meh. and a choice on sale that was killer. It really depends more on what you working with, than what it cost.

For me... inject as stated above by bbqbrett bbqbrett ... I would not trim any fat off of it... Fat cap up... let the fat render down and help keep the meat moist... wrap at the stall ... catch all the drippings in a foil pan.... add these drippings back in when you wrap... rest in cooler for a minimum of 1 hr ... slice against the grain ...

ENJOY... might be the best brisket you ever had ...

For me... inject as stated above by bbqbrett bbqbrett ... I would not trim any fat off of it... Fat cap up... let the fat render down and help keep the meat moist... wrap at the stall ... catch all the drippings in a foil pan.... add these drippings back in when you wrap... rest in cooler for a minimum of 1 hr ... slice against the grain ...

Solid advice.

Reactions: dougtreasa
My approach will depend on weight, fat cap and how much I need to trim off of the flat to maintain some amount thickness. What did she buy for you?

I think what everybody is saying is, we need to know exactly what you have. Grade, cut, size, & photo’s would help. We can help you but we need more info!
Al

Reactions: dougtreasa
Cheap briskets can be very good! What size is it? Got a picture? I am all about cheap! Retired early and decided rather have the time than the money.
Sorry for the delay but work got crazy! Here are some pics of the 16.27 lb "Choice" brisket (and ugh, it is frozen)!
1649857168604.png
1649857196352.png

1649857258197.png
1649857224271.png

I would definitely recommend and injection of some type. Base of beef broth and what ever flavors you might like to go with it. I am sure you can get some more input from others on here or use the search feature.

I know not everyone would probably agree but I would also wrap part way through if you have a cheaper cut. Can also add more liquid, seasoning, butter etc. at that time.
Thank you for the suggestions!

We need more info as stated above.

BUT - the quality is not directly related to the cost. Ive booked a prime brisket that was meh. and a choice on sale that was killer. It really depends more on what you working with, than what it cost.
Sorry for the delay but work got crazy! Here are some pics of the 16.27 lb "Choice" brisket (and ugh, it is frozen)!
1649857168604-png.png

1649857196352-png.png

1649857258197-png.png

1649857224271-png.png

Thank you for the suggestions!

Reactions: smoorenc
My approach will depend on weight, fat cap and how much I need to trim off of the flat to maintain some amount thickness. What did she buy for you?
1649857168604-png.png

1649857196352-png.png

1649857258197-png.png

1649857224271-png.png

I think what everybody is saying is, we need to know exactly what you have. Grade, cut, size, & photo’s would help. We can help you but we need more info!
Al
1649857168604-png.png

1649857196352-png.png

1649857258197-png.png

1649857224271-png.png

Once completely thawed it's business a usual. I usually give something in this size 5 days in the garage fridge. My guess the trimming will remove 3-4 lbs. I always weight the trimming so I know what weight will actually be smoking. Choice, Prime & Wagyu, they all can yield great results but remember every piece of meat can be different in how long it takes to get tender. Of the three I've noticed that Choice tends to take a bit longer than Prime or Wagyu. Outside of that my prep and smoke is the same. Pure Texas style, 50/50 salt & pepper then smoke at 275º. Only decision then is whether to wrap or not.

Yep, after all of these suggestions, I'm feeling pretty good about it! And I got this one, and one other, for half the price listed on the package so, another win!

Reactions: bbqjefff
Once completely thawed it's business a usual. I usually give something in this size 5 days in the garage fridge. My guess the trimming will remove 3-4 lbs. I always weight the trimming so I know what weight will actually be smoking. Choice, Prime & Wagyu, they all can yield great results but remember every piece of meat can be different in how long it takes to get tender. Of the three I've noticed that Choice tends to take a bit longer than Prime or Wagyu. Outside of that my prep and smoke is the same. Pure Texas style, 50/50 salt & pepper then smoke at 275º. Only decision then is whether to wrap or not.
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I've never done a wrap before as typically, once I hit the stall, I have transferred them to a disposable aluminum pan and covered it in foil. However, this time I have some good wrapping butcher paper, non-waxed, and I thought I would wrap it at the stall. Also wondering about your suggested cook temp of 275. I usually smoke at 225 - 240. Have you tried lower temps with poor performance or have you always used 275?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky