Tips for Smoking a Low-Quality Brisket for Best Outcome

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh yes, since you are on a pellet smoker. I’ll give you my temp profile for the cook.

I start at 0600 at low (high smoke) for an hour or 2, then kick it up to 275 for the duration. I dont wrap. Start testing for probe tenderness after about 195. IT varies a bit, but the probe tenderness of the flat will tell you when its done. The point will appear done first, but ignore that, its fine

Thanks, sandyut!
I saw the "Select" label on the price tag but then I saw "Choice" on the backside of the packaging so, I guess my novice designation is showing quite prominently! BTW, not to rub it in but, I actually got 2 of these briskets for half the price shown on the label so . . . it was an incredible deal for sure!

That will be a great Brisket. You got solid advice. For me what really gets it tender is a long holding time. I try to go 4 hours.
For holding time are you referring to the "stall" time when the cook temp slows down, or are you referring to the time when you put the brisket in a cooler after it is pulled from the smoker?
Thanks!

For holding time are you referring to the "stall" time when the cook temp slows down, or are you referring to the time when you put the brisket in a cooler after it is pulled from the smoker?
Thanks!
After the brisket is cooked. You can put into a cooler wrapped in towels. I use my MES40 set around 145. Do a search on brisket holding and will get more info.

Reactions: dougtreasa
Well, it turned out pretty good! I probably should have trimmed it better as it was a very odd shape with the point being very thick (6-7 inches) and the flat being very thin on one corner (an inch) making for a big difference in thickness. But, it is so hard for me to trim off meat! Anyway, I smoked it for 3 hrs at 225, then I turned up the heat to 275. At 5 hours it was stalling so I wrapped it and it began to climb in temp rapidly. After 8 hrs it hit 195 so I placed the wrapped brisket in an aluminum pan and sealed it with foil until I hit 203 at 10 hrs. Then I wrapped it in towels and rested it for four hours in a cooler. It turned out great, especially the point. The flat was a little dry on the thin portion but my wife actually prefers it that way so, all in all, a great day smoking, and the recommendation to cook at 275, something I've never done before, worked well as I did not have to get up at 3:00 AM or go to bed at 3:00 AM! Started it at 6:30 AM, took it out at 4:30 PM, and rested it until 8:30 PM. Warmed it up in the oven the next day and it was a hit! Thanks for all of the advice!

It's a choice. Meat man mislabeled it as select. Blue ink on the cryovak is a dead givaway! Excel does the same thing. Blue ink on 'choice', black on 'select'

I often have to separate briskets in the wally world meat counters while digging for one and that's the easy way. They lump them all in the same counter together. Charge the same price/lb too......

Great job. Great price.
I use that crumbly end of flat for chili or soup.
Yep, good ideas! We've eaten all but the thinnest part of the flat and we are chopping it up and adding sauce for chopped sandwiches.

Its awesome when a whole brisket comes out great from one end to the other but that's not always possible so...what ever portion comes not to your liking can be incorperated into a soup,stew or most best...CHILI!

Its awesome when a whole brisket comes out great from one end to the other but that's not always possible so...what ever portion comes not to your liking can be incorperated into a soup,stew or most best...CHILI!
BTW normanaj, proud Airman here myself. PMEL '84-'95!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky