This is the reason why my "Q" is on hold UPDATE 6/3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
What a nightmare.

went from this,
smile.gif

418ac193_IMG_20110206_113010.jpg

to this
icon_cry.gif

63b11ec0_IMG_20110226_160706.jpg

e95582d7_IMG_20110226_160722.jpg

So far the price of copper alone has put me over my projected budget.

Most of the electric is done and started the drywall.

I got half the drywall done and had to completely remove it again, electrical boxes were too low
icon_mad.gif

cd2dcd15_IMG_20110309_215214.jpg

5e67ce26_IMG_20110310_211607.jpg

the ceiling was a bear, had to chissel out a huge knot and about 18" length where the soffit was.

had to shim the jousts where the soffit was.

68ed91cd_IMG_20110226_160714.jpg

Tear out was  bear as well, had to remove a layer of linoleum , lauan then hand pull every single crown staple that went through the lauan, a tiled floor 3/8 plywood and into the floor, after the staples were pulled out the 2nd floor came up relatively easy but that floor was secured with a bunch of nails that stayed into the sub floor when I pulled up the 2nd layer of underlayment them nails had to be removed by individually by hand as well.

The walls were a faux brick but very hard and brittle, this was a chore.

I did get a chance to sure up the floor in the bedroom above the kitchen by jacking up the floor between the joists in the kitchen and putting in a support.

Its pretty overwhelming doing this by ones self,  I have been pacing my self...about 3 hours a night and then I put in a good weekend.
I doubled my projected completion time because I have to do everything twice!

I wont even go into the electric

All this because my better half wanted to put in a new floor, that nd the fact that she always hated the brick!

At least I am getting a slide out spice rack built into the base cabinets out of the deal.
biggrin.gif

YYYEEEOOOWWWWWWW!!!!

What a project.. my condlences..

Craig

Good luck my friend! I did my kitchen several years back and was contemplating starting my basement this weekend... but after this post i might put that back on hold for another 2 years!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Oh man...looks like a b****. In my experience you go to fix one thing and break two others in the process. Looks like you folks will be doing a lot of take-out for a while. Luckily, I don't have to deal with those wifey suggestions anymore...you know, the one's that start with 'wouldn't it be nice if 'we' could.......' ...fill in the blank with whatever..lol.

Hey SQWIB It maybe a bitch now but you'll be happy when done. Me on the otherhand have redone mine 3 times in 20 years, and I hope I sell it before we change it again. Keep up the good work

What's up with all the outlets by the ceiling?

Last edited:
I feel for ya a couple months ago I had to help/do my sister's house after a plumbing leak in the wall. It ended up being two bathrooms and the kitchen down to bare studs and start over.

Better you than me!

I quit doing this stuff a few years ago---Now I just advise & my Son does the hard work!

You'll be proud of it when you're done though!

Don't forget to hit us with the final pics,

Bear

Do you have a budget or flyin' by the seat of your pants?

Good Luck My Friend!

Todd

Hey SQWIB It maybe a bitch now but you'll be happy when done. Me on the otherhand have redone mine 3 times in 20 years, and I hope I sell it before we change it again. Keep up the good work

What's up with all the outlets by the ceiling?

A lot of the wires had to be cut and extended after the soffit was removed, so to try and keep with code I used outlets as junction boxes

Thanks all,

hit another problem.

The floor has a bout a 3/4" drop between 3 joists.

was gonna tear up the sub floor but decided on SLC,

of course the refrigerator and stove sat in this dip.

I'm a bit leery of this stuff but will be placing a 3/8 underlayment on top.

Had a buddy come out and start the tape and spackle routine.

1683ee8e_IMG_20110315_063646.jpg

eb12acf6_IMG_20110315_063654.jpg

50f25e16_IMG_20110315_063700.jpg

9fb45b73_IMG_20110315_063710.jpg

Good luck man. That SLC is good stuff and makes life a lot easier that the old days

Thanks all,

hit another problem.

The floor has a bout a 3/4" drop between 3 joists.

was gonna tear up the sub floor but decided on SLC,

of course the refrigerator and stove sat in this dip.

I'm a bit leery of this stuff but will be placing a 3/8 underlayment on top.

Had a buddy come out and start the tape and spackle routine.
Ran into that a few times. 

I used to jack the floor up & glue and screw some heavy scabs on both sides of the low joists.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky