• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

This is the reason why my "Q" is on hold UPDATE 6/3

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
What a nightmare.

went from this,

to this

So far the price of copper alone has put me over my projected budget.

Most of the electric is done and started the drywall.

I got half the drywall done and had to completely remove it again, electrical boxes were too low

the ceiling was a bear, had to chissel out a huge knot and about 18" length where the soffit was.

had to shim the jousts where the soffit was.

Tear out was  bear as well, had to remove a layer of linoleum , lauan then hand pull every single crown staple that went through the lauan, a tiled floor 3/8 plywood and into the floor, after the staples were pulled out the 2nd floor came up relatively easy but that floor was secured with a bunch of nails that stayed into the sub floor when I pulled up the 2nd layer of underlayment them nails had to be removed by individually by hand as well.

The walls were a faux brick but very hard and brittle, this was a chore.

I did get a chance to sure up the floor in the bedroom above the kitchen by jacking up the floor between the joists in the kitchen and putting in a support.

Its pretty overwhelming doing this by ones self,  I have been pacing my self...about 3 hours a night and then I put in a good weekend.
I doubled my projected completion time because I have to do everything twice!

I wont even go into the electric

All this because my better half wanted to put in a new floor, that nd the fact that she always hated the brick!

At least I am getting a slide out spice rack built into the base cabinets out of the deal.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Oh man Oh man. That looks like a major pain in the butt. I don't envy you at all right  now.

justpassingthru

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2009
SQWIB,

That's quite a project you have taken on, I applaud you on your perseverance!

Gene

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
YYYEEEOOOWWWWWWW!!!!

What a project.. my condlences..

Craig

smokin relaxin steve

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 16, 2010
Good luck my friend! I did my kitchen several years back and was contemplating starting my basement this weekend... but after this post i might put that back on hold for another 2 years!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010
Oh man...looks like a b****. In my experience you go to fix one thing and break two others in the process. Looks like you folks will be doing a lot of take-out for a while. Luckily, I don't have to deal with those wifey suggestions anymore...you know, the one's that start with 'wouldn't it be nice if 'we' could.......' ...fill in the blank with whatever..lol.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Hey SQWIB It maybe a bitch now but you'll be happy when done. Me on the otherhand have redone mine 3 times in 20 years, and I hope I sell it before we change it again. Keep up the good work

What's up with all the outlets by the ceiling?

Last edited:

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
I feel for ya a couple months ago I had to help/do my sister's house after a plumbing leak in the wall. It ended up being two bathrooms and the kitchen down to bare studs and start over.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Better you than me!

I quit doing this stuff a few years ago---Now I just advise & my Son does the hard work!

You'll be proud of it when you're done though!

Don't forget to hit us with the final pics,

Bear

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Do you have a budget or flyin' by the seat of your pants?

Good Luck My Friend!

Todd

dennycieslinski

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 30, 2011
Wow! My back hurts just looking at the pictures!  Thats quite a project you are taking on.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Holy cow dude, nothing like starting from scratch. I kinda liked the brick!   

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
Hey SQWIB It maybe a bitch now but you'll be happy when done. Me on the otherhand have redone mine 3 times in 20 years, and I hope I sell it before we change it again. Keep up the good work

What's up with all the outlets by the ceiling?

A lot of the wires had to be cut and extended after the soffit was removed, so to try and keep with code I used outlets as junction boxes

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
Thanks all,

hit another problem.

The floor has a bout a 3/4" drop between 3 joists.

was gonna tear up the sub floor but decided on SLC,

of course the refrigerator and stove sat in this dip.

I'm a bit leery of this stuff but will be placing a 3/8 underlayment on top.

Had a buddy come out and start the tape and spackle routine.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Good luck man. That SLC is good stuff and makes life a lot easier that the old days

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks all,

hit another problem.

The floor has a bout a 3/4" drop between 3 joists.

was gonna tear up the sub floor but decided on SLC,

of course the refrigerator and stove sat in this dip.

I'm a bit leery of this stuff but will be placing a 3/8 underlayment on top.

Had a buddy come out and start the tape and spackle routine.
Ran into that a few times. 

I used to jack the floor up & glue and screw some heavy scabs on both sides of the low joists.

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.