This is the reason why my "Q" is on hold UPDATE 6/3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chugging along ceiling primed and painted

walls primed and painting

Underlayment sanded scraped and primed.

All the lighting and electric is done.

Started laying the floor last night...this is gonna take all week, the grouting is a killer, real tile is much easier.

Hit another snag, when the cabs were measured we allowed for a cabinet on the wall that was a 12" cab, and the dishwasher door would swing in front of this, however the cabs are 13" (with door) plus the measure was off by a little over a half inch (my measurements show a half inch less than his, I had about a one and a half inch clearance from the open position of the dishwasher to the front of the cabs, now its gonna be a problem.

02d6fa62_IMG_20110322_223124.jpg

66ffae57_IMG_20110322_223138.jpg

df5c7495_IMG_20110327_154820.jpg

Everytime I go on the deck I look at the GOSM BB and sigh.

Then I go into the backyard to let the dog out and hank out with Frank, HE'S SO COLD AND LONELY!!

Last edited:
Chugging along ceiling primed and painted

walls primed and painting

Underlayment sanded scraped and primed.

All the lighting and electric is done.

Started laying the floor last night...this is gonna take all week, the grouting is a killer, real tile is much easier.

Hit another snag, when the cabs were measured we allowed for a cabinet on the wall that was a 12" cab, and the dishwasher door would swing in front of this, however the cabs are 13" (with door) plus the measure was off by a little over a half inch (my measurements show a half inch less than his, I had about a one and a half inch clearance from the open position of the dishwasher to the front of the cabs, now its gonna be a problem.

I always made my cabinets custom, with extended stiles & such, instead of using fillers, but does that wall (with the DW in it) go from wall to wall? If it doesn't, all you have to do is get a filler big enough to pull you far enough away from the 13" depth of that cabinet to clear your DW door.

If it does go wall to wall, I can't tell if there's anything else you can do without seeing the layout & the cabinet sizes.

Bear

Yes its wall to wall.

I already have a 4" filler on that end, closer to the inside wall.

That built out section is 9.25".

So far my measurements show the open door will touch the cabinet door.

My 3 options are;

Cut up the cabinet to make it more shallow.

Cut the cabinet into the drywall, that will give me half an inch

place the dishwasher in a HOPEFULLY unnoticeable slight angle so when the door opens it will swing away from the cabinet.

Ill post some pics tomorrow to show what I mean

I tip my hat to ya SQWIB. 

Nice job, keep up the good work. 

If your not tired of it when ya finish, I think I have one to start on. LOL

Sigh of relief.

I went home last night and racked my brain and could not figure how the measurements could be off so much, I can see human error, but the design program showed everything should fit fine.

Anyhow I WAS tearing open the corner cab to see if it was exact 36"or if it was maybe a little shy...reaching here, anyhow when I looked at the paperwork and corner cab, then it popped into my thickhead.

Its an off set corner cab, one side is 36" and the other 33", I kept thinking it was 36" x 36", so now I have 3" breathing room.

I can relate to that in multiple ways!  Started putting a new floor in and found mold in the walls.  Long story short; $17,000 later a new front to my house, I started to put the hardwood floor in.

Good luck, it really will be worth it when you are done.

Sigh of relief.

I went home last night and racked my brain and could not figure how the measurements could be off so much, I can see human error, but the design program showed everything should fit fine.

Anyhow I WAS tearing open the corner cab to see if it was exact 36"or if it was maybe a little shy...reaching here, anyhow when I looked at the paperwork and corner cab, then it popped into my thickhead.

Its an off set corner cab, one side is 36" and the other 33", I kept thinking it was 36" x 36", so now I have 3" breathing room.
That's great!

You're good to go now!!!!

I'm glad to hear that,

Bear

I can relate to that in multiple ways!  Started putting a new floor in and found mold in the walls.  Long story short; $17,000 later a new front to my house, I started to put the hardwood floor in.

Good luck, it really will be worth it when you are done.

OMG

I'll never complain about the kitchen again

Arent these projects fun!

Glad you are getting this figured out and are down the home stretch. Man these can get ugly

Cabinets are in, everything went fairly smooth. sorry for the gnarly pics, just shot a few from the phone this morning.

64f174fe_IMG_20110404_070312.jpg

fbcbcd47_IMG_20110404_070321.jpg

27ae39e1_IMG_20110404_070332.jpg

911128ac_IMG_20110404_070344.jpg

5a4b76fc_IMG_20110404_070338.jpg

Did hit a few snags, the gas line was exactly where the fitting comes out of the stove, had to cut some of the back wall and floor out and shim the pipe into the wall.

I had a 24" deep cabinet over top of the refrigerator and it looked horrid, so I decided to remove it and shorten it so that its flush with the other cabinets.

The sink drain is 3" off, we will  need to put some 45's on it to move it over a bit. plus the sink lined up with the cabinet wall.

The measurements they had for the sink wall was almost an inch different than mine, If they went by measurements I could have installed a 18" cabinet instead of a 15" cabinet, this would have given me a 1/2" filler piece, now I need to install a 3-1/2" filler piece.

There was a 5-1/2" filler needed for the base cabinets, this was my doing for the reason of dishwasher clearance with the wall cabinets, any how I made a 5-1/2" wide cabinet that will have a removable filler piece, and the reason I had to do this was, the Misses was complaining that she had no where to put her baking pans, because they were supposed to go in the 24" deep cabinet over the fridge, that I cut.

No complaints, I am happy thus far.

Next week we will start the crown molding and light rail and hopefully I can get clearance on my table design from the fabricators and get that completed so they can template everything.

Looking pretty good SQWIB.

As long as it looks good in the end, you'll forget the problems you ran into.

There are always unforeseen problems, when you install a new kitchen in place of an old one.

My son just finished installing his new kitchen. It is huge!

He designed it, I laid it out & drew it up (3 times !), a buddy of mine made it in South Carolina, and delivered it, and my Son installed it.

He did a great job, but he used to install some of my kitchens for extra cash, when he was in his late teens, so he had quite a bit of experience.

Keep the pics coming---I'm enjoying seeing your progress.

Bear

Got an ok on the supports, picking them up today.

Hopefully tonight I can finish the Knee wall and get it primed so I can get a coat of paint on it late tonight, then the cabs can be installed early AM.

Starting the crown molding and light rail molding tomorrow

Finished the Crown molding and cove light rail.

Hit yet another bump in the road, after finishing the knee wall and installing the cabinets, realized it was not level, don't know why I didn't check for level before.

Had to pry up a 2 x 4 that was glued and screwed then shim and repatch drywall.

What really pisses me off is I had the level sitting up there for the cabinet install.

6a483898_IMG_20110409_105541.jpg

06b64b57_IMG_20110409_105707.jpg

b311a680_IMG_20110409_122125.jpg

6468dc44_IMG_20110409_203721.jpg

5e565223_IMG_20110409_203731.jpg

Gonna finish the wall this week and install the toekick, and hopefully clean up and get some tools put away.

LOL---You know you're getting close, when you start putting tools away!

BTW: In case you didn't know it, on post # 30, there's a guy inside your micro-hood taking your picture! 

Bear

Last edited:
LOL---You know you're getting close, when you start putting tools away!

BTW: In case you didn't know it, on post # 30, there's a guy inside your micro-hood taking your picture! 

Bear
Yeah and he's scary looking

Granite is coming Friday.

I had to retag 2 new slabs because one wasn't gonna be enough and I had to pick 2 slabs from 1 lot, they insisted on this and I agree.

Just picked up my  Delta Touch[sub]2[/sub]O[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Technology faucet, this is pretty cool, now I can prep foods and not worry about touching the faucet with nasty hands.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky