Third rack of ribs I've ever done.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thx997303

Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
So, these were the third rack of ribs I've smoked, first spare ribs, and first time I've done a no wrap.

Smoked 4.5 hours at 225, finished at 195F internal temp, and were way over glazed. But they were delicious.

Seems to me baby backs are a little simpler to handle due to the bone size and structure, but these spare ribs were much cheaper.

Should have started smoking years ago.

Any tips appreciated, included a picture of my notes.

20190804_164843.jpg
View attachment 402258

Attachments

• 20190804_200618.jpg
    20190804_200618.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm a spare rib guy, usually untrimmed, not St Louis cut. I don't wrap or temp, but temp absolutely works. I probe and bend.

I read your notes. Solid. Spares are definitely fattier than BBs, but at half to 1/3rd the price they are hard to pass up. They are also more forgiving than BBs.

Reactions: JC in GB
My first two racks were baby backs I did a 321 smoke but I raised the temp on the entire last hour, which burnt them a bit. Tasted good still, but the thin end was a bit of charcoal lol

Spent about $20 on about 5 lbs of baby back then, and just under $10 on these spare ribs, you aren't kidding on the price difference for sure.

$4 per pound is a bit pricey on baby backs. They run under $3 per pound here.
Not much more than spares at $2.30 per pound, but the meat to bone ratio keeps me on the spares.

I trim to St Louis cut and smoke out the trimmings and toss then in sauce to boil out for the wife.
Ribs go for my lunch. Work for farmer and have learned the good spots on various tractors to reheat ribs for a hot meal. Sure beats a cold sandwich

I don’t really do anything to the meat while it’s in the smoker. Just put some oil and some rub that I like and put it on the smoker before even lighting my fire. That way it comes up slow on temp and gets more Smokey. Also you won’t get any smoke in your face since the fire isn’t lit yet. Sometimes I’ll do a butter honey, bbq sauce mix the last hour if there looking a little dry but that’s not that often. Bbq should easy and relaxing. I’m running a stick burner tho. Looks like yours didn’t come off a stick burner and it needs more smoke or heat to give it more color

Your ribs look fantastic!
You do get a lot of meat for your money when you buy untrimmed spares.
I just smoked a rack on Friday & I'm still eating the leftovers.
Al

Well, thanks for the comments everyone. Seems I didnt screw up too badly.

My nephew devoured the leftover ribs today, I had a few and it seems reheating smoked meats doesnt destroy the flavor.

I'll definitely tweak things a bit, and I guess I'll keep on with the spare ribs.

Can somebody tell me what st Louis cut entails?

Here’s how my spare ribs come out without my ever touching the ribs besides put oil and rub on, I like baby backs better myself, I believe your just trimming the cartilage off to turn the spares into St. Louis cut
EF0304E7-EEB9-477C-B997-20F5AA6B1478.jpeg
693E4A02-56E5-4655-B1C6-748DF71455F2.jpeg
i did these last week. There’s no bbq sauce on there

Those look delicious.

My wife came home with 3 racks of baby back ribs yesterday, so I'll get a good chance to tweak these to perfection.

After that, I've got some trout that are begging to be smoked.

Should have bought a smoker years ago, this is fun.

Rack number 4 is just about to come off the smoker...

Tweaked the recipe a bit, glaze is apple cider vinegar with dissolved brown sugar, few more minutes of sear and I'll pull it.

Pretty excited, these are looking great.

Nice looking cook. Ribs are near the top of my list for BBQ food. So delicious...

I love buying full racks of spares then trimming them to a St Louis cut. I use the trim pieces for making rib tips. So delicious.... I can usually get full spares for $1.89/lb.

I just ordered a case of St Louis cut ribs. I want to see if they will be an easier option than having to trim up three racks of spares at a time.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: thx997303 and drdon
I think I need to do something to add a little heat. Love that spicy sweet combo, but this rub doesn't come through much.

Think I may tweak the glaze a bit on the next rack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky