• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

ThermoWorks probes - alternative/compatible brands?

marriedman

Joined Sep 3, 2019
I'm hoping that someone has already discovered this and can share info. I really like my ThermoWorks Signals, but their probes tend to be fragile. I don't know if it the kinks in the wires or water somehow getting into the insides when I clean them, but they don't last for more than about a year. I'm not even using a sopping wet sponge when I clean them, just a wipe down from a damp sponge or rag. I have gone through 3 probes and now one ambient temp probe.

I'm tired of paying $20 to replace these things when I see sets of 4 for about the same price on Amazon. Has anyone who owns a Signals found an alternate source for probes? I cannot find any technical information on the size nor method of temperature measure (PT100 vs PT1000). The only thing technical I can find is that they are thermistor sensors, but Amazon doesn't return any usable results for that search.

Thanks in advance for any help!

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
Try looking at the Meater. I bought the four probe set and I am very pleased with them. They have Blue Tooth and wireless capability. They are a bit pricey but well worth it.

EvenFlow87k

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jul 27, 2021
I have had a Smoke for about six years that finally gave up. I only had to replace one probe over that time, and the went through the doors on both my cookers.
I now have a Signals and only have used it once, but hope the new probes hold up. I don't know of any aftermarket probes that are compatible though.
I only follow two rules with mine. No immersion and no tight kinks/knots. I usually clean lightly with stainless steel wool and a moist soapy paper towel.
Hopefully you have better luck in the future!

marriedman

Joined Sep 3, 2019
Try looking at the Meater. I bought the four probe set and I am very pleased with them. They have Blue Tooth and wireless capability. They are a bit pricey but well worth it.
They are a bit pricey, but not as much as the Signals setup I already own. I like everything about my current setup with the exception of the fragility of the probes. I took a chance on a probe set on Amazon. If they work I will update this thread with as much detail regarding specification for anyone that may have this question in the future.

craigdb

Joined Aug 27, 2021
I ran into this exact same issue today. One of my probes for the Signals stopped responding mid smoke. Never been too wet, or had the cable kinked. I tried a second one and that was about 20 degrees lower than the one that was working. Tried another older one from my Bradley smoker, and that worked just fine, so not an issue with the Signals unit itself.
Retried the Thermoworks one that was about 20 degrees "colder" about an hour later, and this time it started registering 10 degrees while the outside air temp is 87.
Looked at purchasing direct from Thermoworks, but $19 seems a little pricey. Unfortunately, the warranty on probes is 6 months, and I've had mine for about 15 months. Just odd that two give out on the same day.
Given that the Bradley one seems to be working, I'm interested in your results from the Amazon purchase before making a decision on replacement

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.