The Secret To Good Sliced Brisket Defies Conventional Wisdom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now ya got me thinking about doing a brisket again.......... Well at least I'm not thinking about these dag gum hotdogs........ Hows mini me doing...... My temps take a  lot longer to reach 225 but it stays there a long time. Dont get those quick drops or spikes......I like it............
icon14.gif
     brisket looks great..........
drool.gif

Joe

Probe, toothpick, doesn't matter to me if you have some extra laying around.
Please don't think I am putting down Toothpicks...I think it is a great idea!...I just never thought of it because I am it the habit of grabbing an IRThermo as I get my tools together so it is always on hand...JJ

Now ya got me thinking about doing a brisket again.......... Well at least I'm not thinking about these dag gum hotdogs........ Hows mini me doing...... My temps take a  lot longer to reach 225 but it stays there a long time. Dont get those quick drops or spikes......I like it............
icon14.gif
     brisket looks great..........
drool.gif

Joe

Mini-Me is doing very well. It isn't very fuel efficient but I can't complain about the output.
beercheer.gif

Probe, toothpick, doesn't matter to me if you have some extra laying around.
Please don't think I am putting down Toothpicks...I think it is a great idea!...I just never thought of it because I am it the habit of grabbing an IRThermo as I get my tools together so it is always on hand...JJ

No offense taken friend.
biggrin.gif

I know everyone has their own method to smoking that "perfect" brisket. I have tried many different methods and have settled on 

the no trim, no probe method also. The 17 pounder i smoked this weekend was done at IT of 188º.

Great thread Joel

Interesting point Raptor?

I still use the therm.  But...  I use the toothpick or even my instant read probe without even turning it on.  When it goes in with no resistance on a brisket, I pull it.  Don't ask me why? I would almost never do that on another piece of meat?  It just seems to me that briskies are different?  Maybe this would be because I have dried out a briskie before?

Good luck and good smoking.

WOW I am going to try this out. I can do good briskets but to me they have been lacking something, this may be it. I have always trimmed to round 3/8 or so. I have also always gone to 190-195 IT. The next brisket i do will be done no trim and tested with tooth pick. I also normally score the fat and slather with my mustard slather and rub at least 12 hours prior. I take it from your post there is no benefit to doing this?

I'm guessing you have never eaten my brisket!

Follow that same process and always have. Those who trim the fat are losing flavor and moisture in the meat. Great Post Solar!!
The advantage to a close 1/4 inch trim is that I don't remove the rub and char on the fat when I slice and serve.   When doing a quater inch trim the key is to keep moisture in your smoker chamber and add a bit of finishing sauce when I foil.  I failed with brisket for a lot of years until I started reading this site and I am now very proud of my final results!

Lots of different way to make great smoked foods, find the way you like, perfect it and enjoy!

Solaryellow/All,

Do you smoke your brisket's fat side up or down?  Also, do you turn flip it at all during the process?  I have read both ways on here and interested in what you do.

You have me thinking about brisket and will smoke one Friday night...

Solaryellow/All,

Do you smoke your brisket's fat side up or down?  Also, do you turn flip it at all during the process?  I have read both ways on here and interested in what you do.

Fat side up and no flipping. Good luck!

Solaryellow/All,

I inject my brisket while it's in a pan to catch the excess and pour any left over injection in the pan with the brisket, smoke it in a pan the entire time.

I start with the fat side down and flip it with the fat side up after about 4 hours, depending on the size.

I do foil, but not at a certain temp. When the brisket gets the color i'm looking for, i foil and finish.

When i know the brisket is getting close to being done I do like Joel and start checking for tenderness every 30 mins to an hour.

When the toothpick goes in with little resistance and i know it's done, I probe it just to see what the IT is. They always are done at different temps.

And you always want to wrap and rest for 1 - 2 hours.

Hope this helps 

goodluck.gif

Solaryellow...do you foil?  I used to, but the last couple of times I haven't and I like the bark much better not foiling.

WOW I am going to try this out. I can do good briskets but to me they have been lacking something, this may be it. I have always trimmed to round 3/8 or so. I have also always gone to 190-195 IT. The next brisket i do will be done no trim and tested with tooth pick. I also normally score the fat and slather with my mustard slather and rub at least 12 hours prior. I take it from your post there is no benefit to doing this?

I just noticed I never responded sprky. I can't say that there isn't a benefit to scoring or using mustard to adhere the rub to the meat but I do not use either of those practices.

Interesting point Raptor?

I still use the therm.  But...  I use the toothpick or even my instant read probe without even turning it on.  When it goes in with no resistance on a brisket, I pull it.  Don't ask me why? I would almost never do that on another piece of meat?  It just seems to me that briskies are different?  Maybe this would be because I have dried out a briskie before?

Good luck and good smoking.
Hey Merv... Pretty much everything I Braise gets the Probe Test...JJ

Thanks to the people at SMF it never occurred to me to do briskets any other way and I have never had trouble with a single one.  :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky