The Secret To Good Sliced Brisket Defies Conventional Wisdom

Discussion in 'Beef' started by solaryellow, Feb 19, 2012.

1. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Now ya got me thinking about doing a brisket again.......... Well at least I'm not thinking about these dag gum hotdogs........ Hows mini me doing...... My temps take a  lot longer to reach 225 but it stays there a long time. Dont get those quick drops or spikes......I like it............[​IMG]      brisket looks great..........[​IMG]

Joe

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Please don't think I am putting down Toothpicks...I think it is a great idea!...I just never thought of it because I am it the habit of grabbing an IRThermo as I get my tools together so it is always on hand...JJ

3. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Mini-Me is doing very well. It isn't very fuel efficient but I can't complain about the output. [​IMG]

4. solaryellow

No offense taken friend. [​IMG]

5. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Another vote for the fat cap on almost anything.  I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Good luck and good smoking.

6. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I know everyone has their own method to smoking that "perfect" brisket. I have tried many different methods and have settled on 

the no trim, no probe method also. The 17 pounder i smoked this weekend was done at IT of 188º.

Great thread Joel

7. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Interesting point Raptor?

I still use the therm.  But...  I use the toothpick or even my instant read probe without even turning it on.  When it goes in with no resistance on a brisket, I pull it.  Don't ask me why? I would almost never do that on another piece of meat?  It just seems to me that briskies are different?  Maybe this would be because I have dried out a briskie before?

Good luck and good smoking.

8. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I just saw this thread  now .like reptor said everyone got his way. I leave the fat on and i taste it with a stainless steel chopstick like this one .

[​IMG]

9. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

WOW I am going to try this out. I can do good briskets but to me they have been lacking something, this may be it. I have always trimmed to round 3/8 or so. I have also always gone to 190-195 IT. The next brisket i do will be done no trim and tested with tooth pick. I also normally score the fat and slather with my mustard slather and rub at least 12 hours prior. I take it from your post there is no benefit to doing this?

10. swkegelguy

swkegelguy Fire Starter

Follow that same process and always have. Those who trim the fat are losing flavor and moisture in the meat. Great Post Solar!!

11. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I'm guessing you have never eaten my brisket!

The advantage to a close 1/4 inch trim is that I don't remove the rub and char on the fat when I slice and serve.   When doing a quater inch trim the key is to keep moisture in your smoker chamber and add a bit of finishing sauce when I foil.  I failed with brisket for a lot of years until I started reading this site and I am now very proud of my final results!

Lots of different way to make great smoked foods, find the way you like, perfect it and enjoy!

12. mschwartz26

mschwartz26 Smoke Blower

Solaryellow/All,

Do you smoke your brisket's fat side up or down?  Also, do you turn flip it at all during the process?  I have read both ways on here and interested in what you do.

You have me thinking about brisket and will smoke one Friday night...

13. solaryellow

Fat side up and no flipping. Good luck!

14. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I inject my brisket while it's in a pan to catch the excess and pour any left over injection in the pan with the brisket, smoke it in a pan the entire time.

I start with the fat side down and flip it with the fat side up after about 4 hours, depending on the size.

I do foil, but not at a certain temp. When the brisket gets the color i'm looking for, i foil and finish.

When i know the brisket is getting close to being done I do like Joel and start checking for tenderness every 30 mins to an hour.

When the toothpick goes in with little resistance and i know it's done, I probe it just to see what the IT is. They always are done at different temps.

And you always want to wrap and rest for 1 - 2 hours.

Hope this helps 

[​IMG]

15. mschwartz26

mschwartz26 Smoke Blower

Solaryellow...do you foil?  I used to, but the last couple of times I haven't and I like the bark much better not foiling.

16. solaryellow

I do not foil until I take it off to rest.

17. solaryellow

I just noticed I never responded sprky. I can't say that there isn't a benefit to scoring or using mustard to adhere the rub to the meat but I do not use either of those practices.

18. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Hey Merv... Pretty much everything I Braise gets the Probe Test...JJ

19. austinl

austinl Smoking Fanatic

Thanks to the people at SMF it never occurred to me to do briskets any other way and I have never had trouble with a single one.  :)

20. I don't trim unless it is a serious thick fat cap. I like to leave a 1/4 to 1/2" of fat.