The Classic Pastrami Reuben

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fantastic looking Reuben Curing does that to any meat - gray looking.

IMG_3610.JPG

The corned beef/pastrami I did last March - cut off a piece for corned beef, then smoked the rest for pastrami.

IMG_3611.JPG

As you can see, it still retained it's 'bloom' on the inside, until it was exposed to oxygen, which made it turn gray again.

Beautiful, troutman! I usually cut the flats off, as well. Makes for good Corned Beef and Pastrami. I’m going to give your brine a try...

“Like”

Wow that looks great, Here I am looking at pastrami recipes and wow am I drooling, Not sure how I missed this earlier, But Definitely LIKE that......

I have smoked a few Corned Beef briskets with really good results, I've been wanting to try smoking a pastrami next. I will defiantly post pics of how it turns out

Correct me anyone if I wrong, but if he smoked "corned beef" then he's has already smoked pastrami???

Yes, Some of the seasoning may be a little different during the brining stage, but corned beef is boiled and pastrami is smoked. Unless he's talking about making it from scratch - uncooked brisket.

Chris

I did not use any of the spices used to make pastrami, I did not know this was basically the same thing
I'm still a newbie smoker, on kik y been at it for a four or so years.
Thanks for the input

OK let's set the record straight. "Corning" beef is a curing process for really any type of meat, but most folks seem to like brisket the best. It involves adding the meat to a salt solution. We also add pink curing salt which does two things, it fights the bot bug and turns the meat that delightful pink color. Other than that most folks add sugar and some sort of pickling spices, but that's a personal preference.

Now there are two things you can do to corned beef, you can boil it or steam it and eat it as is. Or you can smoke it and/or steam it and it becomes known as pastrami. The smoking can be like conventional brisket smoking or it can be done in the sous vide process as I posted earlier this week.

Either way, corned beef and pastrami are essentially the same thing, just cooked differently and thus acquire different names.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks troutman, the one thing I didn't understand... but have seen, was seasoning a corned beef and then (steaming) it to make pastrami.
Now I know, thanks, I straight on the whole corned beef / pastrami issue

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky