The By-Product of my Labors - Smoked Ham and Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I did my second double smoke ham following Bear's step by step this weekend. This time I used a shank ham so I had quite a bit of skin, fat, and the bone left over. I had used the skin and fat to do Bear's "auto basting" trick, so it was smoke but still had a considerable amount of fat that could be rendered from it.

So the next AM I started a pound of white beans soaking in water, and at the same time tossed all of the skin, fat, and bone from the ham into the crock with a quartered up onion, and some garlic, and let it run for about 8 hours on medium.

FYI, we use to sell waterless cookware so we have a really nice Kitchen Kraft stainless crockpot that I wouldn't trade for the deed to a gold mine!

After 8 hours and straining and defatting it, I had just about 5 cups of beautiful broth. And my beans were ready to go.

So I put the beans, about 3 gloves of minced garlic, 1 chopped onion, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, and all of the "extra" pieces of ham I had after slicing the double smoked ham (about 1 pound), the broth and an extra cup of water to bring it up to 6 cups of liquid all in the crock and let it run over night on medium (that's one of the reasons I love our crock, I can run it overnight with no fear of it drying out because it doesn't lose hardly any moisture with the lid on).

The next morning once the beans where done enough that they started to break up some when stirring it was done. The beans starting to break up is what gives the finished product a nice creamy texture. This batch had just a touch to much liquid in it, so I add a bit of a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up just a touch. But remember this will thicken quite a bit on its own once it cools so don't get it to thick.

Paired with some sweet cornbread that is another one of Bears step by steps and it was one HECK of a meal made from the by product of double smoking the ham. Way better than tossing the bone etc. in the trash!

hambean3.jpg

hambean1.jpg hambean2.jpg

PH, fine looking beans,there is nothing better than a good batch of beans. Too bad my wife can't make a decent batch ! :(

Yes! I've used smoked pork with beans, not exactly the same way but the same idea. I have some left over in the fridge now. And one last cornbread muffin.

This is one of the ways that Smoke Your Own ("SYO"?) can be so rewarding. It makes regular grocery "pork and beans" look like a joke compared to the real thing.

Looks Great, Pete!!:)
Ours is similar, but different, but it all starts with some Awesome Double Smoked Ham!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky