Thank you nepas!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The thing I don't understand is they both say dehumidifier hookup, it would seem to me that it would only turn on if the humidity got too high. I guess there is something I'm missing. 

The other humidity controllers I have seen have both a humidifier hookup & a dehumidifier hookup, so it would regulate the humidity both up & down. Then you have to buy a separate temp controller. What don't I understand?

From what I recall about talking to them about this is..he told me this unit was made for servicing a place that had high humidity.

He told me it kept an area at the same humidity..so it will turn on whatever is hooked up to it to keep at the setting.

A refridge or drink/dessert cooler is a dehumidifier. That's why ya put a small humidifier in the unit.

There are several other ways to control the humidity.

A salt and water paste will hold close to 75% and I have seen several builds using some form or another of this used.

Cigar smokers like to keep 65%-70% in their humidors.

An easy way to humidify would be a block of florist foam soaked with propylene glycol/distilled water mix.  50/50

Lots of folks humidify large totes with a thousand cigars with this method.

I use silica gel in my 5 humis.

............................................................................................................................

Most humidifying elements are passive, releasing stored humidity through evaporation and diffusion. The use of a solution of propylene glycol and distilled water is recommended for replenishing the passive humidifying element as it has a buffer effect on air humidity, maintaining it at approximately 70%. Retailers and manufacturers claim it also has mild antifungal and antibacterial properties. In lack of propylene glycol, distilled water should be used, due to its lack of minerals, additives, or bacteria which keeps the contents neutral and healthy.

Electronic humidifiers are also available, relying on electronics to measure and regulate relative humidity.

Usage of silica gel beads is a third alternative. These also have a buffer effect on relative humidity, and are moistened with distilled water when necessary. They can absorb or release humidity within a certain range, and is typically calibrated in one of three ranges of humidity - 60%, 65%, or 70%. Unlike the passive devices, silica beads only require distilled water, and can be ruined by propylene glycol.

..............................................................................................................................

Or you could buy one of these bad boys!!!!!   http://www.cigaroasis.com/index.php/products/cigar-oasis-ii-xl.html

Then all you need to do is control the temp!!!!!

I hope you are less confused now......

Craig

And of course southerners have a whole nuther definition of relative humidity...hahahahhaahahaha

Last edited:
OK I have never made my own sausage yet. I will when I gather all the necessary equipment. stuffer grinder slicer etc. Is this curing cabinet something I need as well.

OK I have never made my own sausage yet. I will when I gather all the necessary equipment. stuffer grinder slicer etc. Is this curing cabinet something I need as well.
If your going to make sausage that uses cure #2, needs temp and humidity, fermentation or just say    
wtf1.gif
and want one  
ROTF.gif

Craig

I to use cilica beads in my 300 ct humidor, my 2 smaller i use cilica jars.

I had a large display and used a MoistNAir....But my wife told me ...i mean asked me to get rid of the display cab......HAHA

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky