Tasso

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potsieko

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
St. Amant, LA
Pork loin - cut with the grain 1"x2" strips. Evenly coated with the following and refrigerated for 7 days. Smoked with red oak for 8 hours 145*-155*. The following is for 15 lbs.of meat.

10.5 tsp. kosher salt
7 tsp. cayenne pepper
14 tbsp. paprika
7 tbsp. garlic powder
7 tbsp. course black pepper
3.5 tbsp. ground white pepper
3.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
3.5 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp. cure #1

IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG

And since I had plenty room in the smoke shack - I also smoked 25 lbs of pork jerky.
IMG_2011.JPG

Last edited:
not sure if you’ve tried it yet. I found that same recipe online and tried it. Did not like it. Growing up in south Louisiana, we used Tasso quite often especially in gumbo. To me,the cinnamon in this recipe simply doesn’t belong, doesn’t compliment dishes that I would put the Tasso in and isnt original to any Tasso I’ve ever had. Chef John Folse has a great recipe. I will try to find it and put it here. If you like it that way by all means keep using what you like.

Last edited:
Just saw that you are from St Amant, La.
Do they use cinnamon on Tasso there?

I’m just really curious about this cinnamon because I tried it once and literally threw the Tasso out.
Stay safe with the hurricane this weekend.

To each his/her own on the cinnamon - I've done it without, but prefer it in there. I don't know of anyone else that makes it around here , besides a friend & he doesn't use it or the brown sugar. There is store bought stuff, like Richard's - but I don't eat that.

From listening to Foamheart, me thinks every meat place, in The Big Easy, has it's own recipe for andouille... Everyone has a preference and several recipes to choose from... My first andouille seasonings came from the Sausage Maker.. I still like that recipe and the seasonings that have been sent to me from TBE are really good too... Heck, it's all good...

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky