T-Day Rib Roast (My first, Thanks Bear!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
SEUSA
We wanted something different this year besides turkey and I saw standing rib roasts on sale for $6.99/lb so I picked up a 5lber. KISSed it with some SPOG and smoked it with Todd's peach pellets with a little PMC thrown in just because. I started a little early because I didn't want it to be late then as I was reading SMF today and seeing how everyone's turkeys were getting done early I got worried mine would too so I cut the temp down a bit. It went at around 210* for about 3 hours and then felt like I was getting behind so I bumped it up to 240*. Turned out that was the right move because it finished just 10 mins behind my target time. When it hit 139* IT I pulled it out and tented it with foil while we finished getting everything else ready. I watched it creep up to 142* in about 20 mins so it was time to put the knife to it. This was the first rib roast I have ever cooked and if I do say so myself it was Fantastic! I owe it all to the great people at SMF and especially to Bearcarver (Get Well SOON!), I found a thread here that he wrote that really helped answer some questions I had. Here's a link to Bears prime rib: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110433/prime-rib-new-best-ever

In the rush and confusion of getting everything ready I forgot to get a pic of it right out of the smoker so sorry about that but I did get one of the last two slices.

Here it is before:

Gotta love the TBS that Todd gives us:

And the slices:

Thanks Bear!

Last edited:
Reactions: kathrynn
Thought I was working my way up to a brisket but now I see I need to work my way up to a standing rib roast (that's the same as a prime rib right?)

That looks amazing.

Yes it is but this one was "choice" so I didn't call it "prime". 

Follow Bears thread and you won't go wrong.

Thanks Jeramy!

Yes it is but this one was "choice" so I didn't call it "prime". 

Follow Bears thread and you won't go wrong.

Thanks Jeramy!
Looks Fantastic!

It's still acceptable to call it a prime rib even if it is choice grade meat. One of the few exceptions..

Awesome job S2K,

Thanks for posting this b/c I am on the hook to host Christmas this year and since we also have good standing rib roast sales going right now, I bought one and plunked it into the freezer til then. I am earmarking this thread for future reference and I may hit you up with a PM for any other questions I may have. Thanks!

I guess my first general question would be about your SPOG....Is there a specific proportion of the four ingredients that you use, or do you just sprinkle each on the meat until your happy? Is there anything you would change/alter with the rub you used for this rib roast? (less salt? more pepper?)

I've already PM'd Craig (fpnmf) and Old school about this and they said they usually just wing it, albeit with a touch more pepper on briskets. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Yea i just kind of wing it too. Equal amounts of onion and garlic with a bit more pepper and less salt. With a piece of meat like that I really don't want a lot of spice or anything, I want the pure flavor of the beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky