SV Apple Sausage with Kraut and Potatoes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I figured I’d bust out the SV for yesterday’s dinner as I was stuck inside because of the storm.

I decided to make sausage, sauerkraut and potatoes. I had all the ingredients on hand. One of the things I like to do during a big snowfall is purposely avoid going to the store to stock up, but instead create something entirely using what’s at the house.

So I threw the apple sausage directly from the freezer into the SV bath. I went with 155F degrees, total time was 1hr and 45 minutes.
E777A6C4-0190-45D8-B856-B57C47E3C7DD.jpeg

While the sausage was taking a bath, I started the potatoes. The potatoes were cubed and then tossed with a little olive oil, dijon mustard, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and onion powder.
C0216C8D-DE55-449C-A130-7200A9D2C01F.jpeg

After I threw the potatoes in the 375 oven, I started on the browned sauerkraut.

First, I sautéed one small onion in bacon grease until soft and golden. Then I added two 14oz. cans of drained Bavarian style sauerkraut.

I fried the sauerkraut and added pats of butter along the way. I added more butter when the kraut started to appear dry. I probably used half a stick of butter.

Once the kraut looked fried and started to brown in spots, I added a coffee cup amount of chicken broth. Cook for about five minutes and then add cornstarch mixed in with cold water to thicken. I probably used about 3Tbsp here.

After the kraut was finished, I transferred to a bowl and then browned the sausages in the same pan.

Finished Sauerkraut:
B4F95F6D-24F8-41A1-878C-4CED3DB05F86.jpeg

Apple sausage out of the SV and into the pan:
3F6C09DD-0D6B-4B9A-B9F9-8CA2106FDDFA.jpeg

The sauerkraut took about 45 minutes, the same amount of time as the potatoes, so the dish came together at once.

Final pics:
EA79CBE9-3725-4003-83F6-6C04E93B0B29.jpeg

3ECA67BE-6827-4159-8765-25ADCBBB1B67.jpeg

Overall, A very tasty and comforting meal when you are stuck inside. One thing I noticed is the potatoes didn’t have any mustard flavor. I figured it would pair well with the sausage and sauerkraut...but still tasty!!

Thanks for looking and sorry that there’s no exact measurements. Kinda made it up as I went along.

Looks tasty! I use a knife as a weight as well. It's just under the diameter of my Crockpot so it stays centered on top of what it's holding down.

Looks really good . That knife idea is a good one .

Thank you and thanks for the like. My cambro container is taller and narrower, so my bag tends to float by the SV fan. I like using the clip with a piece of silverware because I don’t need to find something to place on top of the bag or vacuum seal metal inside the bag.

Nice looking meal xray. Tasty, warm and will fill the tummy on cold day.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking meal. The apple sausage sounds very interesting. Diced apples mixed in or pie filling ?

Great looking meal. The apple sausage sounds very interesting. Diced apples mixed in or pie filling ?

Thank you! These have diced apples mixed in. They were fresh made at a local butcher. I bought a bunch during the summer and vacuum-sealed them. I wanted to use up some food we had during the storm and to make room for more goodies!

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky