1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SV Apple Sausage with Kraut and Potatoes.

Discussion in 'Sous Vide Cooking' started by xray, Jan 20, 2019.

1. xray

xray Master of the Pit

I figured I’d bust out the SV for yesterday’s dinner as I was stuck inside because of the storm.

I decided to make sausage, sauerkraut and potatoes. I had all the ingredients on hand. One of the things I like to do during a big snowfall is purposely avoid going to the store to stock up, but instead create something entirely using what’s at the house.

So I threw the apple sausage directly from the freezer into the SV bath. I went with 155F degrees, total time was 1hr and 45 minutes.
    E777A6C4-0190-45D8-B856-B57C47E3C7DD.jpeg

While the sausage was taking a bath, I started the potatoes. The potatoes were cubed and then tossed with a little olive oil, dijon mustard, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and onion powder.
    C0216C8D-DE55-449C-A130-7200A9D2C01F.jpeg

After I threw the potatoes in the 375 oven, I started on the browned sauerkraut.

First, I sautéed one small onion in bacon grease until soft and golden. Then I added two 14oz. cans of drained Bavarian style sauerkraut.

I fried the sauerkraut and added pats of butter along the way. I added more butter when the kraut started to appear dry. I probably used half a stick of butter.

Once the kraut looked fried and started to brown in spots, I added a coffee cup amount of chicken broth. Cook for about five minutes and then add cornstarch mixed in with cold water to thicken. I probably used about 3Tbsp here.

After the kraut was finished, I transferred to a bowl and then browned the sausages in the same pan.

Finished Sauerkraut:
    B4F95F6D-24F8-41A1-878C-4CED3DB05F86.jpeg

Apple sausage out of the SV and into the pan:
    3F6C09DD-0D6B-4B9A-B9F9-8CA2106FDDFA.jpeg

The sauerkraut took about 45 minutes, the same amount of time as the potatoes, so the dish came together at once.

Final pics:
    EA79CBE9-3725-4003-83F6-6C04E93B0B29.jpeg
    3ECA67BE-6827-4159-8765-25ADCBBB1B67.jpeg

Overall, A very tasty and comforting meal when you are stuck inside. One thing I noticed is the potatoes didn’t have any mustard flavor. I figured it would pair well with the sausage and sauerkraut...but still tasty!!

Thanks for looking and sorry that there’s no exact measurements. Kinda made it up as I went along.

Winterrider, gmc2003, chopsaw and 3 others like this.
  2. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Joe that sounds great I brown kraut a little differently.LIKES
    Richie

3. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks tasty! I use a knife as a weight as well. It's just under the diameter of my Crockpot so it stays centered on top of what it's holding down.

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

XR, Great meal to help you weather the storm !

5. pa42phigh

pa42phigh Smoke Blower

Mmm that looks yummy

6. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks really good . That knife idea is a good one .

7. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Richie, your brown kraut looks good. I’ll have to give the gravymaster a try.

Thank you for the like.

8. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks guys! It warmed the belly. I ate the leftovers after shoveling and chipping away at ice.

9. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thank you and thanks for the like. My cambro container is taller and narrower, so my bag tends to float by the SV fan. I like using the clip with a piece of silverware because I don’t need to find something to place on top of the bag or vacuum seal metal inside the bag.

10. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Nice looking meal xray. Tasty, warm and will fill the tummy on cold day.

Point for sure
    Chris

11. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Great looking meal. The apple sausage sounds very interesting. Diced apples mixed in or pie filling ?

12. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks Chris and thanks for the like.

13. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thank you! These have diced apples mixed in. They were fresh made at a local butcher. I bought a bunch during the summer and vacuum-sealed them. I wanted to use up some food we had during the storm and to make room for more goodies!

Winterrider likes this.