Super Bowl Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wes w

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 31, 2012
NW North Carolina
 My camera is pain to download from, so I'll post it all at the end of the day.

Up at 4am..... Got awake to 6" of new snow.....  Coffee to get blood moving.

Fired the smoker up at 4:30.    Put 4 butt in at 6:00.     I was beginning to wonder if them bricks would ever get warm.

Hope everyone has a awesome day!   Will post results this evening.   

Wes

Everything is holding well, so I'll get started

Prep last night.  Rubbed and ready to frig. 

4:30am.  Fired then shoveled me a path.  

Always fire it with a chimney of coals.  Add wood once going good.

I love this smoker!   Its a pain in the winter, but I wouldn't trade it for anything

Results to come.....

Thanks guys.   I do like pork.   This isn't all for me.  Starting to sell a little now.    One is mine.  I'm going to freeze most of it and not give it away.   I'm going to try my hand at some Mexican dishes.  

Looks like you're off to a good start man! I'm in 
popcorn.gif

cheers.gif
   I have my smoker warming up right now.  Only got another inch of snow last night but it's still snowing off & on...

Sounds good Jeremy.    There saying we could get more today.   At least the wind quit blowing.

I have a quick question.

The juice that runs into the pan over night from the brown sugar.   Can I  pour that back over the meat when I wrap?   Wife says no, because its already touched raw meat.   I told her I would ask the experts :-)   Thanks

NO!  Your wife is right, the juice is from raw pork and can cause sickness if you poor it over the cooked meat when foiling.

I guess we should probably all listen to our wives more....Yeah Right!

LOL

Bill

I agree with PG, I always rinse and wash my pans along with draining the juice. You can always make a part worcestershire part apple juice in a spray bottle and spay it while unwrapped. when i wrap mine in 5 more hours I'm going to put a Lil honey, squeeze butter and apple juice in the wrap.

Yup the stuff that runs off the uncooked pork should not be added to the meat once you start cooking it. It is different than what you get in a pan while inside your smoker cooking. You can tell your wife she was right.................................................................................................................. This time! 
tongue.gif

NO!  Your wife is right, the juice is from raw pork and can cause sickness if you poor it over the cooked meat when foiling.

I guess we should probably all listen to our wives more....Yeah Right!

LOL

Bill
Thanks Bill.  I didn't think so, but I wanted to ask.     After 27 years of marriage,  I've earned the right "not" to listen.  :-)
I agree with PG, I always rinse and wash my pans along with draining the juice. You can always make a part worcestershire part apple juice in a spray bottle and spay it while unwrapped. when i wrap mine in 5 more hours I'm going to put a Lil honey, squeeze butter and apple juice in the wrap.
Great idea, thanks jh.
Yup the stuff that runs off the uncooked pork should not be added to the meat once you start cooking it. It is different than what you get in a pan while inside your smoker cooking. You can tell your wife she was right.................................................................................................................. This time! 
tongue.gif
I usually pour it over the top when I put them in but I wasn't up to it this morning.     

I wouldn't dare tell her she was right,  that could form into a habit.... :-)   LOL

Thanks guys

No problem Wes, I put it all on top and wrap with fat side down. That way everything melts and soaks down into the meat. Just make sure you wrap it really tight. otherwise all of the juice will leak out and defeat the purpose haha. Looking good!! also very nice setup you have there im jealous. haha

Got my Boston butt in at 6am too. Wife thinks I am nuts but she said "you really do love this" at 5am. Haha she loves the end result so deal. This is my first attempt at pulled pork. Also woke up to some snow so I used ol' faithful my Brinkman ECS. I can get the temp up hold it in the cold. Good luck all

Your a champ for braving the snow, nothing but cold wind testing my patience down here. lookin forward to seeing your results !
Its really not to once I got a path wore in.   Showing heavy now,  little to no wind.   Its about 27f out.     I guess thats an advantage to brick.  Once warm, the weather isn't an issue.
No problem Wes, I put it all on top and wrap with fat side down. That way everything melts and soaks down into the meat. Just make sure you wrap it really tight. otherwise all of the juice will leak out and defeat the purpose haha. Looking good!! also very nice setup you have there im jealous. haha
I usually double wrap.  It seems no matter how careful I am I always get a hole when I single wrap.  

Thanks for the kind words.   I was just finding this site when I was building it.   I really didn't think it was anything special.  

It has its downsides.   You have to stay with it.  I can get away for maybe 30min at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill.  I didn't think so, but I wanted to ask.     After 27 years of marriage,  I've earned the right "not" to listen.  :-)

Great idea, thanks jh.

I usually pour it over the top when I put them in but I wasn't up to it this morning.     

I wouldn't dare tell her she was right,  that could form into a habit.... :-)   LOL

Thanks guys
You've earned the right that is true but as I'm sure she'll tell you (as Steph does me) she's earned the right to "punish" you.

Hey, recently found out we shared a birth year...now I find out we got married about the same year!  Steph and I have also been married 27 years.

Bill

Bill I think its been 27... got married in 84'.   Nov. will be the next one.....   We raised 3 boys.  Life's been good!   She puts up with alot from me.    I'm a big believer in the "ask forgiveness later" kind of guy.  :-)    

I don't mind the punishment.....  I'm getting to the point sometimes its just not worth the effort..................................:-)  I mean, whats she going to do?  Not talk to me.........:-)

Last edited:
Been an interesting day.   Made my first ABTs.    I think I over cooked them a bit trying to get the bacon chrisp.    Had a long stall even with foil.   I'm back on track now for a good finish.   I did learn something today.  ABTs  =   Beer, lots of beer!     I cored them really good stuffed them with my seafood cheese.   Bacon wrap.   Not to spicy at all.   I'll be doing them again.   I have pictures and will post the seafood cheese too.   Its really good as a dip by itself. 

Getting close to party time!!!!   Go Ravens!!

Bill I think its been 27... got married in 84'.   Nov. will be the next one.....   We raised 3 boys.  Life's been good!   She puts up with alot from me.    I'm a big believer in the "ask forgiveness later" kind of guy.  :-)    

I don't mind the punishment.....  I'm getting to the point sometimes its just not worth the effort..................................:-)  I mean, whats she going to do?  Not talk to me.........:-)
Hey Wes,

Before you get in trouble that would be 28 years....

Not talk to you...man, that's more like a blessing than punishment sometimes!  
biggrin.gif

Just kiddin' ladies....

Bill

Hey Wes - sounds like you're having a good day so far  - more beer is a good thing!  If you don't clean the abt's as much they will be hotter for you - or you could make some out of habs to get heat...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky