Super Bowl Poor Man's Burnt Ends Water Pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AZPitman

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Hey Everyone,

I am planning grilling up some Poor Man's Burnt Ends on Sunday for the Super Bowl. I have a four burner gas grill. I have a quick question in regards to a water pan. I am going to be spritzing the meat every so often with ACV, but do you think it is necessary to put a water pan underneath the meat? I have only done that once with a Spatchcocked turkey and it turned out great, but I also was not spritzing the turkey. I am just wondering how necessary it is to use that water pan.

I will also have the grill around 275-300 for around 4-5 hours timeframe.

Any advice would be helpful?

I'm probably no help for your Gas Grill, because I use an MES 40 Watt-Burner.
However I haven't put water in my Water pan in about 9 years.
But like I said, that's a well insulated Electric smoker that is already too humid inside.
You should get advice from a couple of Gassers.

Bear

Last edited:
Are your grates going north to south(front to back) or east to west(side to side). If N to S then I would, and turn the burners under the chuck off. If E to W then I probably wouldn't. You don't want the drippings to burn.

Chris

Are your grates going north to south(front to back) or east to west(side to side). If N to S then I would, and turn the burners under the chuck off. If E to W then I probably wouldn't. You don't want the drippings to burn.

Chris

Yes, they are going North to South. Is there a downside to putting a water pan in? Obviously, there is a benefit, but just wondering if there is a downside at all?

You just don't want the drippings burning with an empty water pan, or the boiling water steaming your chucky with a full water pan. With N to S you can turn those burners off that are underneath the chuck and cook it indirect.

Chris

You just don't want the drippings burning with an empty water pan, or the boiling water steaming your chucky with a full water pan. With N to S you can turn those burners off that are underneath the chuck and cook it indirect.

Chris

Gotcha. Yeah that was my plan. The time I did this before I did 3 burners off under the roast. Then one burner on with a smoke box above.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out. I love PMBEs.

Chris

I've been cooking on a gas grill (and several other types) for over 40 years and cooked everything under the sun on them from breakfast to desserts for after dinner. Not once have I ever used a water pan and personally I see no need for one. Not saying it may not be a good idea, I've just never found a reason to use one. Heck, even when I used smokers that came with a water pan, like Bear, I never used them.

Probably not much help
Robert

Gotcha. Yeah that was my plan. The time I did this before I did 3 burners off under the roast. Then one burner on with a smoke box above.

That sounds like a plan. I use the water pan in every one of my smokers except my MES. But I only use the MES for sausage, so you wouldn't want any moisture in there anyway.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky