• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Super Bowl Poor Man's Burnt Ends Water Pan

AZPitman

Joined Oct 16, 2019
Hey Everyone,

I am planning grilling up some Poor Man's Burnt Ends on Sunday for the Super Bowl. I have a four burner gas grill. I have a quick question in regards to a water pan. I am going to be spritzing the meat every so often with ACV, but do you think it is necessary to put a water pan underneath the meat? I have only done that once with a Spatchcocked turkey and it turned out great, but I also was not spritzing the turkey. I am just wondering how necessary it is to use that water pan.

I will also have the grill around 275-300 for around 4-5 hours timeframe.

Any advice would be helpful?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I'm probably no help for your Gas Grill, because I use an MES 40 Watt-Burner.
However I haven't put water in my Water pan in about 9 years.
But like I said, that's a well insulated Electric smoker that is already too humid inside.
You should get advice from a couple of Gassers.

Bear

Last edited:

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Are your grates going north to south(front to back) or east to west(side to side). If N to S then I would, and turn the burners under the chuck off. If E to W then I probably wouldn't. You don't want the drippings to burn.

Chris

AZPitman

Joined Oct 16, 2019
Are your grates going north to south(front to back) or east to west(side to side). If N to S then I would, and turn the burners under the chuck off. If E to W then I probably wouldn't. You don't want the drippings to burn.

Chris
Yes, they are going North to South. Is there a downside to putting a water pan in? Obviously, there is a benefit, but just wondering if there is a downside at all?

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
You just don't want the drippings burning with an empty water pan, or the boiling water steaming your chucky with a full water pan. With N to S you can turn those burners off that are underneath the chuck and cook it indirect.

Chris

AZPitman

Joined Oct 16, 2019
You just don't want the drippings burning with an empty water pan, or the boiling water steaming your chucky with a full water pan. With N to S you can turn those burners off that are underneath the chuck and cook it indirect.

Chris
Gotcha. Yeah that was my plan. The time I did this before I did 3 burners off under the roast. Then one burner on with a smoke box above.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out. I love PMBEs.

Chris

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
I've been cooking on a gas grill (and several other types) for over 40 years and cooked everything under the sun on them from breakfast to desserts for after dinner. Not once have I ever used a water pan and personally I see no need for one. Not saying it may not be a good idea, I've just never found a reason to use one. Heck, even when I used smokers that came with a water pan, like Bear, I never used them.

Probably not much help
Robert

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
What are poor mans burnt ends made from?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Gotcha. Yeah that was my plan. The time I did this before I did 3 burners off under the roast. Then one burner on with a smoke box above.
That sounds like a plan. I use the water pan in every one of my smokers except my MES. But I only use the MES for sausage, so you wouldn't want any moisture in there anyway.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.