• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer sausage : different meats = different tastes.

Drayken

Joined Jan 18, 2019
I know many people use venison. Sadly, I'm not a hunter. I'm making summer sausage. My first batch was brisket flat and pork butt. Loved the taste. But brisket flat is too expensive, and I've read alot of brisket fat is not as good as the fat from pork butt, so even whole packer brisket costs alot once fat is gone. My question, do you think something like London broil would give similar taste profile, or be totally different? (I can get London broil BOGO price, often. It's very lean, I use it for my beef jerky all the time, so I'd use even more pork butt fat, driving the cost even lower.

If I try a whole packer brisket, would I grind the HARD fat too?

Last edited:

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
personally i don't think you'll see much of a difference if any at all, just add more fat like you mentioned. you'll never know if you try it. also if chuck roast ever go on sale they would probably work good also.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I doubt you would notice the difference once the meat is ground.

SWFLsmkr1

Formerly 'SFLsmkr1'
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Just grind some chuck roast. If your getting off taste and smells then there is a problem somewhere?

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Agree with the others you won't notice. LB and butt SS sounds like a winner to me.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.