SUMMER HARVEST DINNER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Last night I got some of our catfish out of the freezer. Its been a while since we had fish and it was time to start eating some of our harvest. Now most people I know like catfish fried or smoked but my favorite way is seasoned and cooked in a lightly buttered cast iron along with some fresh veggies out of the garden. We didn't do our garden this year but I had some zuchinni that my father in law gave us out of his.

I like a Cajun seasoning on my catfish. You can make your own but this stuff is so good I dont bother.
0803201934.jpg

Seasoned up real good
0803201941b.jpg

The zuchinni got chopped up and a layer put in a casserole dish, then seasoned with salt pepper garlic and some " vegitable grill" then a layer of shredded jack cheese. Then another layer of the zuchinni and more seasoning. The last 10 min of baking it will get another layer of the cheese to melt on top.
0803201950.jpg
0803201902.jpg

Catfish in the cast iron
0803202052.jpg

Give them a flip
0803202104.jpg

Then on to the plate with some rice(uncle bens wild rice) the cheesy zuchinni bake and a couple lemon wedges for the fish.
0803202132.jpg
0803202132d.jpg

And of course a close up of the fish! Flakey and jucy! And perfectly cooked!
0803202144~2.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

OMG Travis!! That fish looks fantastic buddy. Was just having a convo with a couple folks abut catfish and bingo!! There's yours. By far one of my favorites and I typically do mine pretty much the same way you did. No breading, just season them and into a skillet. Excellent job sir!!

Robert

Excellent looking fish! Nice job. Cooked just how we like them.

Ryan

Travis, the catfish looks great and perfectly cooked! Great plate of food!

I never heard of the Vegetable Grille, is it dry seasoning?

Good looking vittles
Thanks fb!
OMG Travis!! That fish looks fantastic buddy. Was just having a convo with a couple folks abut catfish and bingo!! There's yours. By far one of my favorites and I typically do mine pretty much the same way you did. No breading, just season them and into a skillet. Excellent job sir!!

Robert
Thanks Robert ! This is my favorite way to do catfish!
Excellent looking fish! Nice job. Cooked just how we like them.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan ! It was a great meal!
Travis, the catfish looks great and perfectly cooked! Great plate of food!

I never heard of the Vegetable Grille, is it dry seasoning?
Thanks ! Its a dry mix of mostly dried herbs . it's really good on all veggies.

Man, you have no idea how good that looks to me! NICE JOB. Seriously, your last fish thread got me fired up so I got my license for the first time in YEARS and finally activated my OGF account. Would LOVE to know more about how you catch and prep. I see talk of bleeding them and only bagging smaller ones. ANY tips greatly appreciated.

Awesome man, I do salmon &tilapia just like that, but I have never tried catfish that way, we always eat it fried. Gonna do it for sure!
Al

That fish is cooked perfect . Nice meal right there . Like the baked veg too . Trying that for sure .

That is some real fine looking whisker fish you got cooked up there Travis, the baked zukes are looking real good too, nice piece of work! RAY

That is a killer meal Travis. I could eat two plates of that! Like!
Thanks gator! I was kinda sad when it was all gone lol. I could have ate a pile of that fish!
YUM! that look righteous!
Thanks sandyut!
Man, you have no idea how good that looks to me! NICE JOB. Seriously, your last fish thread got me fired up so I got my license for the first time in YEARS and finally activated my OGF account. Would LOVE to know more about how you catch and prep. I see talk of bleeding them and only bagging smaller ones. ANY tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks zwiller! I keep just about all the catfish we catch reguardless of size. No need to bleed them out. Usually I cut the skin all the way around just behind the head and peel it back with pliers. Peels right off. Then just fillet as you would any other fish. Catfish have the added bonus of the belly meat as well. The larger older ones I will discard some of the darker parts of the fillet. I also soak the fillets in salt water for a few hours in the fridge, rinse them off and pack in Ziploc bags filled with water to freeze. Maybe i should do a thread on how I clean them next time I get the chance!

Awesome man, I do salmon &tilapia just like that, but I have never tried catfish that way, we always eat it fried. Gonna do it for sure!
Al
Thanks Al! I would say if you like the tilapia that way the catfish would be very similar! Hope you give it a try!
That fish is cooked perfect . Nice meal right there . Like the baked veg too . Trying that for sure .
Thanks chopsaw! I'll be honest....the veggies almost stole the show. They were awesome and real simple to do!

That is some real fine looking whisker fish you got cooked up there Travis, the baked zukes are looking real good too, nice piece of work! RAY
Thanks RAY! That zuchinni was real real good! And super easy!
Nice job Travis. I love catfish done like that. You nailed it. My mouth is watering as I type
Thanks Jake ! It was delicious!
Now that's a good meal even better with some cornbread.

Warren
Thanks Warren! Corn bread would have went with this perfectly! Next time I'll make some in the cast iron .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky