• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SUMMER HARVEST DINNER

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Brother that catfish is MONEY!! Big like! I love good catfish. Out of clean water I find it to be very mild sweet fish.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
This is a very nice looking meal. I used to have catfish a lot when I lived in Arkansas. Which I caught myself. Haven't had it in many years. But, with all these threads on it. I might risk buying some frozen fillets and trying it.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Brother that catfish is MONEY!! Big like! I love good catfish. Out of clean water I find it to be very mild sweet fish.
Thanks jcam! And your right its a very mild fish. One of our favorites!
This is a very nice looking meal. I used to have catfish a lot when I lived in Arkansas. Which I caught myself. Haven't had it in many years. But, with all these threads on it. I might risk buying some frozen fillets and trying it.
Thanks Steve! Frozen would be fine but check Wal-Mart where they have the non frozen fish. Ive seen catfish in that section before. Looked to be pretty nice ones. And you dont have to buy a big bag of them that way.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Just be careful of the fish from Wallyworld it may be from the dirty ponds of other nations.

Warren

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Ok let's talk more Ohio boys. Sowsage Sowsage jcam222 jcam222 Sandusky Bay cats? Yea/nay. I plan to at least try some, bleed a few, and experiment. I think the locals still remember the Bay when it was real bad...

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Ok let's talk more Ohio boys. Sowsage Sowsage jcam222 jcam222 Sandusky Bay cats? Yea/nay. I plan to at least try some, bleed a few, and experiment. I think the locals still remember the Bay when it was real bad...
I can say in the last 4-5 years ive caught plenty of channel cats out of Erie while walleye fishing. But usually up around the islands. All have been good clean fish.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
This is true. Especially with tilapia...check the source for sure!
They have a cat fish they call Swahi from Vietnam. Not sure if I seen it some where here on the forum or just where but only catfish raised in the USA can carry the label catfish all others have to be under a different name such as Swahi then say catfish.

Warren

Last edited:

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Good info Warren! Mom loves swai but does not eat local catfish unless smoked... This could be interesting.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like zwiller it is appreciated.

Warren

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.