SUGGESTIONS NEEDED.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
I've been smoking for decades...it's a passion.
A few years back I was diagnosed with the lung disease COPD. It is well managed and I don't hardly miss a beat HOWEVER...
The smoke emitted from my smoker's has recently become quite an irritant.
So much so that Saturday I found myself admitted to the hospital with sever breathing issues after a 300# two day smoke fest.
I'm not willing to admit I have to stop smoking yet however.
My question is whether any of you have any experience with or knowledge on some sort of protective "mask" I might wear when tending my smokers.
Smelling the smoke isn't an issue...the issue is when I'm up close and personal with lids open or loading fuel ect where getting a snooty full of smoke is almost unavoidable.
I've posed the same question to my pulmonologist but haven't recieved a response yet and thought someone here may have a similar issue and found a solution less drastic than a gas mask...lol ..
TIA
Walt.

Reactions: JC in GB
Consider your health most important over any food no matter how good it is.
With this in mind with your health issue you will most likely find any mask good enough to filter out the air and get a good enough seal to your face to be too restrictive for your health condition.

There are warnings for people with health issues like yours to not use a mask. Instead you should consider a Powered air purifier system with the appropriate filters. or a scuba system that gives you fresh air from a tank or a pump.
No system that is ideal for you will be cheap.

I was always taught and live by a rule, if a safety and health issue exist it is better to engineer a system to remove the danger rather than buy gear to try and live or work in the environment that can cause you harm.

Here is a link that will give you advice the advice is based on wildfires but applies to your situation and covers people with health issues and the type of system you would need. https://molekule.science/are-n95-face-masks-best-for-smoke-air-pollution/#targetText=N95 are the most common,99% and 99.97% respectively.

I suggest engineering or investing in a high powered confined space fan and hose to direct the smoke away from you while your tending the smoker and route the stack if possible to an area away from you as well.

Confined space fans are made to blow air into a confined space I would use it to direct as much of the smoke away as I could a 12 inch fan with a hose on Amazon is around 140 bucks sounds expensive but if it works for you it is priceless. if it does not work good enough return it and only pay for return shipping.
I will also add I can smoke with charcoal and wood plus run propane with my conversion with wood chunks for smoke.
The one time I ran charcoal i was coughing for days after. using just propane and maintaining the light blue smoke is easy once and hour I drop in one chunk
no muss no fuss.

Last edited:
You need one that's rated for smoke . N95 is one rating , I think there are 2 more , I don't remember now , but used to need to know all this stuff .
HOWEVER , it's all based on fitment and lung power . You may be doing urself more harm with a wrong or untested application .
Don't use a 3M paper mask . I would agree , be better to find a way to move the smoke before standing in it with a false sense of security .

Reactions: jokensmoken
You have a CPAP machine? If you do, that could provide you fresh air to breathe while you tend the fire. Just a thought....
:emoji_thinking:

I had a fireman mask if you know anyone on the fire dep they maybe able to help you.I used mine melting lead for sinkers!
They do have different cartridges for them also.
Richie

Reactions: JC in GB
My father had COPD.
I kept him away from the grill while I cooked.

Outside of a fresh air source mask system, you at danger with fans or any filter mask system. Carbon Monoxide is your enemy to an already compromised pulmonary system.

My father had COPD.
I kept him away from the grill while I cooked.

Outside of a fresh air source mask system, you at danger with fans or any filter mask system. Carbon Monoxide is your enemy to an already compromised pulmonary system.
I agree 100 percent to keep his passion alive and to stay healthy he will need to invest a fair amount of money in the proper PPE plus training on the PPE and engineering tactics ( fans ) and consider relocating the smoker.
The least expensive option is to find a smoker buddy one who will tend the pit for you and get to enjoy the results with you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky