Substitute for pink salt aka prague powder #1 ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SlavFlavBlav

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hello

I plan to make pastrami next week but i can't find any pink curing salt, all i can find is white curing salt and morton tender quick.
Is there any subtitute for pink curing salt? Can i use white curing salt or morton tender quick for making pastrami? If so how much should i add?

Sorry for my bad english

Thank you

"Pink Salt" is a generic name for salt containing 6.25% nitrite... Cure #1..... There are many trade names....

Below is a search on Amazon for Cure #1... it lists many trade names....
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=cure#1

Morton's Tender quick contains 0.5% nitrite and 0.5% nitrate... The salt content you add to your meat is VERY much more adjustable using cure #1.... No need to soak extra salt from the meat...

Reactions: SlavFlavBlav
You really have to look at the ingredient list to know what you have. There are white curing salts (leggs) that have 6.25% nitrite and tenderquik (which is also referred to as a curing salt) that only has .5% nitrite & .5% nitrate. Only takes a second to check the label and know what you are dealing with

Barry.

Reactions: SlavFlavBlav
You really have to look at the ingredient list to know what you have. There are white curing salts (leggs) that have 6.25% nitrite and tenderquik (which is also referred to as a curing salt) that only has .5% nitrite & .5% nitrate. Only takes a second to check the label and know what you are dealing with

Barry.
Thank you, mister

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky