Stuffer Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Glenwood, Upshur Co., Tx
Howdy All
Can somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong? I have the 5# / 7L stuffer from Hakka, which worked well the first couple of years. I've had it four, now.

It seems like it is harder to use than it used to be -- as in, only Superman can crank the crazy thing.

What do I need? Better lubricant? Grease the chamber before filling with the sausage farce? New plunger ring / seal? All of that? None of that?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

I don't use that one . I have the Lem 5lb , but ran into the same thing . Not sure of the design of that stuffer . Mine was the washer above the vertical gear , between the gear and the frame . Acts as a bushing and a spacer . It was bent due to high pressure and causing the shaft to bind as it dropped . I took it apart , flattened it out and flipped it over .
Like I said , I don't know how yours configures . Crank it empty and see if you notice the threaded shaft " drop " then catch itself as you crank it . Or grab the shaft and see if you have play up and down . If it does , I would say you have a worn bushing or something causing that slop needs replaced .
I needed 2 hands to crank a 5 lb stuffer . I knew it wasn't a lube / add more water issue .

Reactions: 73saint
What does the cranking feel like sans the tub? If it cranks hard without the tub, you know it’s mechanical.

How pliable is your O ring?
I found over time that my 5lb and 20 lb LEM O rings get stiff. The new clear O rings are working good.

You have some good answers here, check everything.

Reactions: chopsaw
It could be the seal has hardened. Stupid question. Are you trying to crank with a full tube on high speed? Is the meat too firm? What size tube are you trying to push through?

Howdy All
Can somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong? I have the 5# / 7L stuffer from Hakka, which worked well the first couple of years. I've had it four, now.

It seems like it is harder to use than it used to be -- as in, only Superman can crank the crazy thing.

What do I need? Better lubricant? Grease the chamber before filling with the sausage farce? New plunger ring / seal? All of that? None of that?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Have you switched to using smaller stuffing tubes? This is a HUGE factor in the amount of pressure you must use to stuff.

There is a DRASTIC increase in pressure needed to push 5# of meat through a smaller diameter tube to stuff sausage then a larger diameter tube.

This usually is less of an issue with my 5# stuffer but with my 22# stuffer.... yeah takes 2 people to stuff natural casing sausages. 1 healthy hardy adult male and 1 person to feed and work the sausage as it comes out hahaha. When I switch to the BIG tube I can work the full 22# stuffer on my own stuffing 1 1/4 summer sausage castings... crazy aye!

Reactions: zwiller
I had a Hakka stuffer that sounds the same as yours. Steve mentioned the possibility of trying to crank it on high speed gearing versus low speed. If you have two splines that the crank can go on, try the other one and see if it helps. Also, you're supposed to lubricate the O-ring/gasket on the plunger with a food grade oil. I just used a paper towel and applied a small amount of vegetable oil to mine any time I was setting it up to use.

Keep us posted,
Robert

There is a DRASTIC increase in pressure needed to push 5# of meat through a smaller diameter tube to stuff sausage then a larger diameter tube.

I never knew this until recently. First few sausages were SS and I have 10mm SS tube and that was brutal. Wasn't until I did some summer sausage I realized that it take less effort. Even then, I am still surprised how much effort it takes to stuff sausage. I thought it would WAY easier, like little old lady effort. I have a Hakka KO.

Reactions: tallbm
If your using Small tubes for sticks then add a bit more water. Otherwise lubricate the O’ring & the cylinder with Pam spray., and if it starts to bind up then I don’t think you have Enough water in the mix. Just my opinion, since I am not familiar with that stuffer.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky