1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Strawberries

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by pineywoods, May 8, 2019.

1. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Our last project was partially funded by a grant and the grant said we had to plant in the ground. So I decided we'd lay some ground cover thus making rows to plant the plants and we'd run drip tape and run hydroponic solution to feed the plants. We also decided to plant our tower system with strawberries as well ordered 3000 plants and a friend that planted had several hundred left over so we had plenty.
    Landscape fabric going down
    KIMG0282.jpg

KIMG0283.jpg
    Ran a lateral with poly pipe then the drip tape down the rows
    KIMG0284.jpg
    Found we had enough plants and room to do a double staggered row so another run of drip tape and plants in.
    KIMG0306.jpg
    Getting ready in towers
    KIMG0301.jpg KIMG0301.jpg
    Planted
    KIMG0307.jpg
    All growing well
    KIMG0309.jpg

KIMG0311.jpg

0924170839.jpg

0924170839a.jpg

1004170951.jpg

1004170953a.jpg

Shortly after this I was in the hospital again so we didn't get anymore pics. The neighbors and friends did pick a lot of strawberries and said they were very good.
    Thanks for looking

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks awesome Jerry. Looks like you were going to get a good yield out of it.

3. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It will be interesting how the dirt plants do vs. the potted plants....

4. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Brian it did yield a lot of berries unfortunately many just rotted on the plants which started other problems with the plants. If we do it again it will have to be a "U Pick" type thing there were just to many strawberries for us to deal with even if I had been healthy.

Dave that was one of the things I wanted to find out the university I sometimes work with is doing some strawberry research mostly with organic production. That would have provided another way to compare to since we were growing the same varieties

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is quite a setup Jerry!
    I barely have a backyard! :emoji_disappointed:
    Al

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Piney, Wow! that is quite the setup!

7. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow! I bet you had a lot of berries!

8. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

nice pics, that's a nice set up you have. hope your feeling better

9. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome Jerry interesting idea with the tower planting.

Warren

10. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

One Heck-of-a-set-up!!!
    Would have been a real load of Berries!!
    How much of it has to be removed & replaced to do it again?
    Hoping you're all fixed up now.

Bear

11. Medina Joe

Medina Joe Meat Mopper

Hi Piney, You're green house looks great. I'm building my first one this year out of 3 inch plastic tubing. Did you install vents?

12. pineywoods

I have some with top vents and some without. If building wooden end walls consider a large opening up high on each end you can put screen on it during the summer and plastic in the winter

13. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Impressive... I'm assuming sandy soil? What amendments did you incorporate into the planting area?

14. pineywoods

In the towers it's a mix of composted pine bark and coconut fiber.
    The ground planting was just plain dirt no amendments at all but I was running a complete hydroponic solution through the drip tape I used for irrigation.

15. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Impressive looking set-up piney. A farmer around here does something similar and his wife whose a grade school teacher brings her class over to help once every couple of weeks and uses the experience as a learning aid. Some of the produce picked by the kids is donated to the school for the lunch program.

Chris

Medina Joe and HalfSmoked like this.
  16. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great idea Chris my Lions club donates 6 boxes of fruit every month to our elementary school under a program called fuel up to play 60 supported by the NFL.

Warren

17. Medina Joe

Medina Joe Meat Mopper

18. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cool...thanks for the reply. I like your set up.