Strawberries

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
Our last project was partially funded by a grant and the grant said we had to plant in the ground. So I decided we'd lay some ground cover thus making rows to plant the plants and we'd run drip tape and run hydroponic solution to feed the plants. We also decided to plant our tower system with strawberries as well ordered 3000 plants and a friend that planted had several hundred left over so we had plenty.
Landscape fabric going down
KIMG0282.jpg

KIMG0283.jpg

Ran a lateral with poly pipe then the drip tape down the rows
KIMG0284.jpg

Found we had enough plants and room to do a double staggered row so another run of drip tape and plants in.
KIMG0306.jpg

Getting ready in towers
KIMG0301.jpg
KIMG0301.jpg

Planted
KIMG0307.jpg

All growing well
KIMG0309.jpg

KIMG0311.jpg

0924170839.jpg

0924170839a.jpg

1004170951.jpg

1004170953a.jpg

Shortly after this I was in the hospital again so we didn't get anymore pics. The neighbors and friends did pick a lot of strawberries and said they were very good.
Thanks for looking

Looks awesome Jerry. Looks like you were going to get a good yield out of it.

Looks awesome Jerry. Looks like you were going to get a good yield out of it.

Brian it did yield a lot of berries unfortunately many just rotted on the plants which started other problems with the plants. If we do it again it will have to be a "U Pick" type thing there were just to many strawberries for us to deal with even if I had been healthy.

It will be interesting how the dirt plants do vs. the potted plants....

Dave that was one of the things I wanted to find out the university I sometimes work with is doing some strawberry research mostly with organic production. That would have provided another way to compare to since we were growing the same varieties

One Heck-of-a-set-up!!!
Would have been a real load of Berries!!
How much of it has to be removed & replaced to do it again?
Hoping you're all fixed up now.

Bear

Hi Piney, You're green house looks great. I'm building my first one this year out of 3 inch plastic tubing. Did you install vents?

Hi Piney, You're green house looks great. I'm building my first one this year out of 3 inch plastic tubing. Did you install vents?

I have some with top vents and some without. If building wooden end walls consider a large opening up high on each end you can put screen on it during the summer and plastic in the winter

Impressive... I'm assuming sandy soil? What amendments did you incorporate into the planting area?

In the towers it's a mix of composted pine bark and coconut fiber.
The ground planting was just plain dirt no amendments at all but I was running a complete hydroponic solution through the drip tape I used for irrigation.

Impressive looking set-up piney. A farmer around here does something similar and his wife whose a grade school teacher brings her class over to help once every couple of weeks and uses the experience as a learning aid. Some of the produce picked by the kids is donated to the school for the lunch program.

Chris

Great idea Chris my Lions club donates 6 boxes of fruit every month to our elementary school under a program called fuel up to play 60 supported by the NFL.

Warren

Thats one impressive Strawberry patch,, hope your healthy.
Are you doing one this Year?

Sad to say we won't have any strawberries again this year. Hurricane Michael did some damage to some of our structures and we had to cut the plastic off all of them. I decided to make any changes that I wanted to before putting them back into operation and it's going slow as I'm usually working alone and have lots of projects going

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky