Straight Liquor for "Marinade"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AustinFromTN

Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I know technically it's not a marinade.

One time I put a pork butt in Evan Williams bourbon for three days before smoking and it seemed to work well. I've also been told that spiced rum for three days works well but it has to be kept on ice (I'm assuming the freezer would work).

But I can't find anything on the internet for just a straight whiskey marinade. Is that a good idea, or would the effects be negligible? Should it be kept in the fridge, freezer, or counter (I'm assuming the hard liquor won't spoil the meat)?

I know technically it's not a marinade.

One time I put a pork butt in Evan Williams bourbon for three days before smoking and it seemed to work well.

If it worked for you the first time I don't see why it shouldn't work again. . . . Give it a try and let us know how it comes out. Trial and error is probably the best way to learn next to an experienced chef walking you step by step through a process. Not always lucky enough to have that so give it another whirl!

Good luck,

john

I appreciate the replies. Keep them coming.

The problem with BBQ sauce (I make my own) is that the tomato will burn in the smoker.

I usually do a 30% tequila, 40% orange juice and 20% lime juice with a little garlic, onion and black pepper added for chicken breast and thighs for a couple of hours before smoking.

Reactions: BugliesGrills
I usually do a 30% tequila, 40% orange juice and 20% lime juice with a little garlic, onion and black pepper added for chicken breast and thighs for a couple of hours before smoking.

That sounds really interesting and I'll have to try it sometime.

In a month I am preparing a giant pork butt for a church luncheon. So probably wouldn't fit with the flavor.

I'm wondering would alcohol have any kind of tenderizing effect? I understand how acidity and enzymes and such in fruit juice like pineapple and citrus juice does so but what about alcohol. Or would it just act like a preservative like formaldehyde? lol

My preference for doctoring BBQ sauce is bourbon. If it is going on beef, it is just sauce and bourbon. If it is going on pork or chicken; sauce, bourbon, and usually some fruit preserves. I don't put it on for the entire smoke, just the last hour. No burning.

I had a thought that alcohol alone might dry out the meat. I looked online and found that it will both denature the protein (tenderize it) and dehydrate the tissue. Sounds like dry, tender, meat, but I've never tried alcohol alone. Experience is always a better teacher than the Internet.

If you're cooking pork or beef, I recommend going for darker alcohols like stout or whiskey. Trust me, they pair the best! However, if you're cooking chicken or some other sort of white meats or even seafood, then definitely go for gin. I've also heard that tequila is a good match, but I've never tried it myself. That's because I'm a massive gin fan. Ever since my bestie gave me a gin gift, I've been drinking gin for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, lol. Okay, jokes aside, I just think gin tastes so good, and I would never ever choose anything over it!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky