Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks and sounds great Ray. Was sorry to hear about the setback though. I'd bet you could dump it all back into the pan, add the remaining pectin, and re-cook the stuff. I've never done it before so don't know but there's got to be a way to salvage the stuff and get it where you want it to be. Too much time and work involved to throw in the towel at this point.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Trying putting in fridge for a day
It's in the fridge now Brian for a few hours, I'll give it a day. BTW, couldn't find the thread again but took your advice and got some brown eggs from TJ's. Thanks for the heads up, they're great! RAY

Ray I have had it happen before and , Certo says to put back in pot and reboil for time said at first. Than bottle( water bath way )
But where you have more product than the amount for the pectin, could you maybe pick up more pectin and use maybe 1/8 of package to compensate. Or like others have said , a nice strawberry topping or a new glaze for some chicken etc. David
As of right now that could hopefully be the plan David. I have a email into the SureJell folks about doing just that, maybe they'll tell me what I need to do and how much, maybe it can't be done at all, I got no idea. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks and sounds great Ray. Was sorry to hear about the setback though. I'd bet you could dump it all back into the pan, add the remaining pectin, and re-cook the stuff. I've never done it before so don't know but there's got to be a way to salvage the stuff and get it where you want it to be. Too much time and work involved to throw in the towel at this point. Robert
Thanks Robert! As stated to David, I'm going to give it a shot, there's nothing to lose. When my pool guy comes I'm going to offer him half of it to use as it is. The more I think about it the more I bet his kids eat loads of ice cream and pancakes. If he wants it then at least I'll know it wasn't a total waste and that some kids will enjoy it. You are right, my reason for wanting to salvage this is due to all the work put in. Thanks again Robert. RAY

I use this pectin. Here is instruction for Strawberry http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/N...l RealFruit Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin.pdf

1677692907285.png

Thanks Brian!The fact that my jam has already been boiled once and has Splenda and pectin added to it now is of some concern to me. Jan just came home with more pectin so I'll be waiting to see if the SureJell people get back to me.

On a brighter note, my pool guy just left with three of the jars and assures me his kids will be all over it. He makes them flapjacks every Saturday morning so it's not a total loss, and I have three pints left to possibly redo, I'll know soon enough. RAY

I have a email into the SureJell folks about doing just that, maybe they'll tell me what I need to do and how much, maybe it can't be done at all, I got no idea. RAY
I'll put a jar in the fridge, three in the pantry, and have a couple promised out. Thanks for lookin', I might do it again some time, might not. RAY
Ray the pool guy and family got 3 and 1 in the fridge and 2 promised out. lol if my math is right . I would just save what you have done and when time works out and you have more berry's , I would just make another new batch.

It happened with 1 batch of my Cherry / Rhubarb Jam. It came out too thick. The recipe said to stir until the right thickness, so I did and when it set, like thick pudden. We use those bottles for cakes , cookies and turnovers fillers. Plus I have used it as a glaze on pork and chicken by adding a little liquid to thin out.

Just a thought

David

Just a thought David
Hey David! Well poolboy took three pint jars and now I have three left. I contacted SureJell, the pectin folks, and they didn't have remake instructions for using Splenda. Now I have a email into the Splenda folks stating everything that has occurred up to this point, and asking what they recommend I do, and how to do it. Three pint jars would last me about forever, I'd even give one away. If the whole thing is a bust and I have to toss it I'll never do this again, it was a lot of work, like all dammed day! Now if the Splenda batch can be salvaged I just might try their apple-butter recipe, I do have more pectin now, and a apple peeler/corer in the pantry. If the whole things a bust and I toss it I'll chalk it all up to bad luck, never do it again, and make a pizza. RAY

Now I have a email into the Splenda folks stating everything that has occurred up to this point, and asking what they recommend I do,
I hope Splenda gives you some ideas, hate to see all that work go to waste ,

But on your other suggestion, I love apple butter, made a batch last summer

And never a wrong idea with pizza, lol

David

Thanks Brian!The fact that my jam has already been boiled once and has Splenda and pectin added to it now is of some concern to me. Jan just came home with more pectin so I'll be waiting to see if the SureJell people get back to me.

On a brighter note, my pool guy just left with three of the jars and assures me his kids will be all over it. He makes them flapjacks every Saturday morning so it's not a total loss, and I have three pints left to possibly redo, I'll know soon enough. RAY
I had problems with SureJell also. I like now that I can make as little or much as I like. I would get some for furture batches. Most stores have it or amazon.

Maybe a touch of xanthan gum would firm it up.
edit to add:
Xanthan gum is water activated so no added cooking.
Plus the mouthfeel of xanthan is pretty similar to a pectin based preserve.

Good thing that Splenda is sucralose not erythritol?

Last edited:
Albertson's has strawberries for 0.99 cents a lb. I got 2. Going to give it a whirl.
Doesn't get any better than that these days Brian, go for it. RAY

Maybe a touch of xanthan gum would firm it up.
edit to add:Xanthan gum is water activated so no added cooking.
Plus the mouthfeel of xanthan is pretty similar to a pectin based preserve.
Good thing that Splenda is sucralose not erythritol?
Thanks for that John! I'm gonna wait to see if Splenda gets back to me until I decide what to do. They blow me off they can piss up a rope, I got better ways to spend my time and money, and I don't much care about the money involved. RAY

Reactions: Fueling Around
I hope you got your jam figured out. I just got done making some couple hours ago. I really was not expecting much as these strawberries not taste that great. Just popped a jar open while still warm and Wow does it taste good. Hmm I still have another package of berries. I normal just make enough for now but maybe I will do another to give away.

IMG_20230303_123028533_HDR.jpg

Looks good Brian! After a few days in the fridge my jam setup pretty well, not perfect but not runny either. Toasted a bagel this morning to test it out, absolutely friggin delicious, it's a keeper. Reckon even a blind dog finds a bone every now and then. RAY

DSCN4447.JPG

Looks good Brian! After a few days in the fridge my jam setup pretty well, not perfect but not runny either. Toasted a bagel this morning to test it out, absolutely friggin delicious, it's a keeper. Reckon even a blind dog finds a bone every now and then. RAY
I glad it worked out and thanks for getting me to do this.

I all ready finished off one jar. Man this stuff good. I starting another 2 pints with regular sugar to take down to the river tomorrow for couple friends. Also making my Crawfish Cornbread to take. Going to be some happy people tomorrow!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky