steak rub with coffee? yes!!! ( no Q view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Chicago - south Burbs
first. no Q-view. sorry, was scrambling with too many other things cooking

i have been seeing coffee grounds used in many cooking shows. so on a whim while making my world famous(or at least my backyard) Black and Blue burgers, i picked up a cheap fatty bone in rib eye and thought it would blacked well on my gas grill.

so i made a quick rub of equal parts ground black pepper,fine sea salt,granulated Garlic,granulated Onion and some generic bold ground coffee.

over next time i will tweak it a little:

1 tsp Course ground black pepper

1 tsp Course sea salt

1 tsp granulated Garlic

1 tsp granulated Onion

1/2 tsp Coffee ground-bold

I never put Rub on my steaks before, i normally if anything put a kiss of homemade Jack Daniels steak glaze but this was rub outstanding and will try it again.

so if you have not tried coffee before. give it a chance and see what you and your guests say.

Before I knew about this forum and site...I purchased the McCormick's Cowboy rub.  It has coffee in it and I really liked the taste...it's a tad salty...but it tasted great on what we have grilled/smoked so far.

hi, Although I'm new here and new to smoking, I've done some cooking in my time and here a fantastic recipe that uses coffee, brown sugar, salt pepper etc... as a rub for rib eye steaks:

Cowboy Steak

from "The Great Steak Book" by Grady Spears. 
Straightforward. Simple. Steak. 

serves 4 

Cowboy Blend : 

•1/2 Cup freshly ground coffee  
•1/2 Cup coarsely ground black pepper 
•1/4 cup kosher salt  
•1/4 cup brown sugar 

•4 (14-16 ounce) Rib-eye steaks. i prefer bone-in always but for this it's not a must. 

•2 tablespoons vegetable oil. 

preheat oven to 450 

season steaks evenly coating all sides and edges. you will most likely have extra blend. don't over-coat. 
heat oil in large heavy skillet just to smoking point. 
add as many steaks as skillet will hold not overcrowding. 
sear well 2-3 minutes per side. 
transfer together to baking dish and cook in oven for 5-7 minutes for medium rare, depending on thickness. the steak i had tonight was 1 inch thick and bone-in so i cooked it for less than 5 minutes. 

let stand for 3-5 minutes. 

i served this with the steak's juices from the baking dish. it needs nothing else. the flavor is all in and on the steak. 

sides were a simple steamed and lightly sauteed asparagus and a quick tomato relish (olive oil sautee red onion, then add chopped vine ripened tomatoes, sprinkle with sugar and lightly with white wine vinegar, reduce heat and let simmer while you prepare steaks, let cool and serve on dish to the side - spread on parker house rolls.

I love your use of "world famous."   I've been known to do that with things I've made maybe one time.  My wife and kids roll their eyes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky