• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Staying awake

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2016
Just read thru thread where they where going to smoke large brisket overnight and worried about falling asleep and fire going out. What do other stick burners do during overnight smokes.
I start a smoke say midnight ill watch tv until cant hold eyes open. Thats when i set phone timer to 45 minutes and then its sleep, timer goes off, chk add wood, reset timer and repeat until morning. Not a good nights sleep but enough i can go the next day into the evening with guests. Whats you method?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Try Chili’s extreme hot & fast method. I think he did a 18 lb brisket the other day in 9 hours. And it looked darn good! Al
If I do an overnight smoke I use the WSM/Guru setup & sleep like a baby!
Al

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
I get get about 4 hours out of a burn so I set my alarm and get up and add wood through the night or if smoking something that will be reheated I start at 4am. I’ve spent many nights sleeping in my pickup or recliner having dreams of a flare up or someone stealing my meat!

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Wireless 4 probe thermometer. Set it for high and low temp alarm.

paprika pal

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 21, 2010
I use the oven timer and set for an hour and sleep on the recliner. This way I have to get up and shut it off. 😳
Then take a nap the next day. 😃

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Try Chili’s extreme hot & fast method. I think he did a 18 lb brisket the other day in 9 hours. And it looked darn good! Al
X2. If I had to stay awake all night I'd need some form of chemical assistance, and I'm just too darned old for that anymore RAY

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I'll never do another Low-n-Slow brisket, unless maybe it's a small Flat that won't take more than 8-10 hours.
Full packer briskets are much more forgiving and I get the wonderful Point.
Trimmed briskets <15lbs go Hot-n-Fast at 275°-300° with smoke.
Trimmed briskets >15lbs go Extreme Hot-n-Fast
2.5 hours of smoke at 275°-300°, then up to 375°-400°.
Once the IT hits 165° and I've a good bark it gets wrapped in paper, back into the 375°-400° and finished till probe tender.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
When it’s time to get some sleep, I would have no guilt over slipping the brisket in the oven at 225* or whatever I was holding in the pot, get some shut eye and start over in the AM with the stick burner. No body but me would ever know.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Harry Soo, everybody here should know his name... Well maybe not 🙄
He says does his at home Hot-n-Fast brisket cooks are done at 375°-400° with smoke (maybe 3-4 hours), gets a good bark, then wraps paper in foil and finishes in a 325°-350° oven till probe tender.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.