Staying awake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Just read thru thread where they where going to smoke large brisket overnight and worried about falling asleep and fire going out. What do other stick burners do during overnight smokes.
I start a smoke say midnight ill watch tv until cant hold eyes open. Thats when i set phone timer to 45 minutes and then its sleep, timer goes off, chk add wood, reset timer and repeat until morning. Not a good nights sleep but enough i can go the next day into the evening with guests. Whats you method?

I get get about 4 hours out of a burn so I set my alarm and get up and add wood through the night or if smoking something that will be reheated I start at 4am. I’ve spent many nights sleeping in my pickup or recliner having dreams of a flare up or someone stealing my meat!

Try Chili’s extreme hot & fast method. I think he did a 18 lb brisket the other day in 9 hours. And it looked darn good! Al

X2. If I had to stay awake all night I'd need some form of chemical assistance, and I'm just too darned old for that anymore RAY

I'll never do another Low-n-Slow brisket, unless maybe it's a small Flat that won't take more than 8-10 hours.
Full packer briskets are much more forgiving and I get the wonderful Point.
Trimmed briskets <15lbs go Hot-n-Fast at 275°-300° with smoke.
Trimmed briskets >15lbs go Extreme Hot-n-Fast
2.5 hours of smoke at 275°-300°, then up to 375°-400°.
Once the IT hits 165° and I've a good bark it gets wrapped in paper, back into the 375°-400° and finished till probe tender.

When it’s time to get some sleep, I would have no guilt over slipping the brisket in the oven at 225* or whatever I was holding in the pot, get some shut eye and start over in the AM with the stick burner. No body but me would ever know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky