Standing Rib Roast ON SALE @ Publix (load up now)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Every year at Christmas , Publix puts standing rib roast on sale @ $5.99 a lb (save $7.50 a lb) ...

For our company Christmas party/lunch today at work we ended up with 17 THICK cut (1 1/2"-1 3/4") ribeyes from the Standing Rib Roast ... After witnessing/eating that.. I'm going in the morning and load up for personal consumption ...

"Merry Christmas "

Yea Keith, that sale has been going on for 2 weeks. It hasn’t been that low in several years. The last few years it’s been $6.99. I do remember one year about 10 years ago it was $4.99......
Al

Two chains here have at 5.99 and one at 6.99 ... all choice.
whole tenderloins at 9.99 and boneless strip roasts at 6.99
Its Beefpolooza right now!

So I went this morning and had them cut one into 4 bone in steaks.. They are Premium cuts... Kinda wished I would have told them just to make them about 1 1/2" thick now... they just cut in between bones... ended up being 2"+ thick... All vac sealed and in freezer ...

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

5.99/lb up here at Price Chopper

Chris

So I went this morning and had them cut one into 4 bone in steaks.. They are Premium cuts... Kinda wished I would have told them just to make them about 1 1/2" thick now... they just cut in between bones... ended up being 2"+ thick... All vac sealed and in freezer ...
Damn, have seen roasts thinner than that monster steak!

(Oh, and if anyone needs to know the chains I didn’t name are Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and Aldi ... guessing the Publix here same also)

Got an decent one at Market Street for $4.47. Albertson has cheap ones but don't look that great. Found real good one at Kroger of all places for $4.97. All ready did shopping at Albertson and needed to spend $25 at Kroger so Bought a 12 pack of Shiner Holiday and 12 pack Modelos.

My Giant Market in Trexlertown has $4.97 (choice Rib Roast) , limited to one per customer.
If it was normal shopping, I'd get the biggest one they have & cut it up myself.
However they will be doing the shopping, and we will just pick-up, so I get what they pick.

So since I already have 3 Prime Ribs in my freezer, I'll cut this one into steaks, whatever size it is.

On Edit: That price I mentioned above was actually $4.67, not $4.97.

Bear

Last edited:
Besides the two 6lb rib roasts I picked up. I also got a ham shank @ 1.99/lb,

Kroger here is $6.99 /lb. Publix is $5.49 /lb, which is the lowest in several years. I grabbed another one this morning from Publix. Beefapalooza indeed!
Those huge steaks look great Keith, what are they like 3 lbs each?

I wonder why rib roasts are so cheap this year?
I have a freezer full of meat, so I won’t be buying more, but I almost want to just go get a few, cause they are so cheap!
Al

If I recall Al.. I believe Publix always has them at that price for a few weeks at Christmas time ..

I've been watching the prices for the last three weeks at Winco. First prices I saw were $7.98/lb whole, $8.98/lb portioned. The next time I shopped, about 10 days later, both had dropped $1/lb. Then this morning another $2/lb drop. The only reason I didn't buy a whole one this morning is my inside and garage freezers are full.

This is taken from the USfoods.com beef report

BEEF TRENDS - DECEMBER 18, 2020
All current beef pricing trends are based on USDA data as of December 16, 2020. Last week’s trends refer to the USDA market for the full week of December 7, 2020.
The bulk of live cattle traded between $1.04-1.08/lb. last week. Analysts have projected this week’s market to be steady.
Last week’s harvest came in at 665,000 head. Analysts expect harvest to be slightly lower this week at around 659,000 head.
The grade for the week ending December 5, 2020 reported with 82.4% of cattle grading Choice or higher, 14.7% grading on Select and Ungraded reported at 3%.
GRINDS
GROUND CHUCK:
Ground Chuck prices were down last week. Three days into the current week, prices are flat.
GROUND BEEF 81/19:
81/19 Ground Beef also traded at lower prices last week. 81% prices have continued to decline this week, but only slightly.
GROUND BEEF 73/27:
73/27 Ground Beef has traded similar to 81/19 Ground Beef, both in terms of last week and the current week.
ROUNDS
PEELED KNUCKLES:
Peeled Knuckles took a large drop in price in last week’s market. The Choice grade has increased in price slightly this week, but the Select grade is trading slightly lower.
INSIDE ROUNDS:
Inside Rounds continued to trade at discounted prices last week. Unlike the majority of beef items this week, both grades of Inside Rounds are trading at a premium this week.
BOTTOM ROUND FLATS:
Outside Rounds traded at significantly lower prices last week. The Choice grade has been steady this week, while Select pricing has continued to trade lower.
EYES OF ROUND:
Eye of Round traded at discounted prices last week. Both grades have continued that trend three days into the current trading week.
LOINS
STRIPS:
Strips traded at lower prices last week, although the Select grade was down only slightly. Through three days of trading this week, both grades have been trading at lower prices again.
TOP BUTTS:
Top Butts were down last week. So far in the current week, Top Butts are trading flat to up, unlike the majority of the beef complex that is trading at lower prices.
TENDERLOINS:
Tenderloins took a relatively large price drop last week and are on pace to do so again this week, following the trend seen in previous years, in which Tenderloins tend to hit yearly highs in early December before declining.
RIBS
RIBEYES:
Similar to Tenders, Ribeyes began to fall in price last week. Those trends have continued at an even greater pace through the first three days of trading this week, as all graded Ribeyes have declined significantly.
CHUCKS
CHUCK ROLLS:
Chuck Rolls experienced a large drop in price last week. Prices are down again through the first three days of trading this week, but the discounting isn’t nearly as significant as last week.
TERES MAJOR:
Teres Majors are the only beef cut on this report where all product grades traded at increased prices last week. On the limited amount of trades that have occurred on Teres Majors so far this week, it seems like they will be falling back in line with the other beef items this week, as prices are flat to down through three days of trading.
BRISKETS:
Choice Briskets traded at lower prices last week, while the Select grade took a modest price increase. Both grades are slightly down through three days of trading this week, and analysts could consider this a value buy if prices hold.
THIN MEATS
BALL TIPS:
Ball Tips traded at a discount last week. That trend has continued in the current week.
FLAP MEAT:
Flap Meat traded at a significant discount last week, most notably on the Select grade. Both grades have discounted slightly in the current week through three days of trading.
FLANK:
Flank Steak discounted heavily last week. The Select grade has continued that trend this week, but the Choice grade is up moderately through three days of trading.
SKIRT STEAK:
Skirt Steak took a significant drop in price last week. That trend appears to have continued this week, as Skirt Steak has taken another large price drop three days into the current week.

The data contained in the Farmer’s Report is provided for informational purposes only, is not tailored to your specific purchasing needs, and is not intended as a substitute for any other publicly-available market data or information. The Farmer’s Report is compiled from the last-received market data provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and/or other market sources, and is subject to change without notice. Nothing herein is the opinion of US Foods®. US Foods neither assumes any legal liability nor makes any warranty or guaranty, either express or implied, regarding the completeness, accuracy or usefulness of this information.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky