Sous Vide "London broil"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shyzabrau

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
Troutville, Virginia
I saw "London broil" (choice top round) on sale (if you call it that) for $4.49 a pound, so I picked up a 1.66 pound cut to smoke and then SV for 24 hours.

I decided to also throw a flat iron steak in the smoker for dinner, since I was running the smoker anyway...

I just seasoned with salt and pepper and put them in the fridge for awhile to dry brine a bit.

I fired up the AMNPS with the garlic spice pellets, and then promptly forgot about it. Burned more pellets than I intended before my brain reset and I blew out the flame...

I didn't turn on the heater in my Bradley Electric until I had about two hours of smoke on it, then I set it at 160. I'll "cook" both in the SV, so I don't want the cooking chamber too hot - just looking for smoke flavor. Since the pieces of meat are intact, I am mostly concerned about keeping the outer surface above 140 for the rest of the smoke.

I'll only keep the flat iron steak on the smoke for about 3 hours (since I started late and it's a pretty thin piece of meat), but I'll let the top round go until the pellets are done. (Should be around five hours...)

Just marking this so I don't miss the rest of it.

Be Back--

popcorn.gif

Bear

I don't know about London Broil. It's on sale a lot around here, too. I admit I've never tried it, but I do know Flatiron is awesome through an SV!
Watching and interested....

Pulled the flat iron steak after about three hours, split it in half (we eat small meat portions most nights) and vacuum-sealed each half and put them in the sous vide bath at 132* F. Since the internal temperature was already about 115*, I only kept it in the bath for about 45 minutes. Half into the freezer for later, and half on our plates. Since it is a work night, I didn't get very fancy - just the meat and some veggies...

I really liked the smoke flavor from the A-MAZE-N garlic spice pellets. I will definitely use that with steak again!

After about five hours, I pulled out the London broil and vacuum-sealed it. This time, I set the sous vide circulator at 130*. I'll let it go a bit under 24 hours (don't want to delay dinner too much...)

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: SmokyMose
That flat iron looks great.   Kinda like a brisket in meat texture.

In for the rest of it.

After 22 hours, I took the London broil out out of the sous vide bath and put it under the broiler for a minute or two on each side.

Here it is getting sliced:

As you can see, it is a LOT less red than the flat iron steak, even though I set the sous vide circulator at 130* (versus 132* for the flat iron). I'm not sure why that is...

Here we are plated, topped with mushrooms, along with peas and some riced cauliflower & sweet potato.

While the flavor was on point (maybe a bit more smoke), the meat was a bit tougher than I was targeting. I'd like to at least match the tenderness of the flat iron steak. I think I will try 36 hours next time.

Reactions: Bearcarver
It looks good to me. I did an Eye of Round a couple of weeks ago, same way, 24hrs at 130. It also didn't have the reddish color, but was plenty tender and tasty. I didn't stress it....

After 22 hours, I took the London broil out out of the sous vide bath and put it under the broiler for a minute or two on each side.

Here it is getting sliced:

As you can see, it is a LOT less red than the flat iron steak, even though I set the sous vide circulator at 130* (versus 132* for the flat iron). I'm not sure why that is...

Here we are plated, topped with mushrooms, along with peas and some riced cauliflower & sweet potato.

While the flavor was on point (maybe a bit more smoke), the meat was a bit tougher than I was targeting. I'd like to at least match the tenderness of the flat iron steak. I think I will try 36 hours next time.
It Looks Great !!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

It takes us some time & experiments to get these "Sous Vide" things the way we want them, but then again when we do get one perfect, it doesn't mean doing exactly the same thing the next time will get the exact same results.

All we can do is keep experimenting & posting our methods & results, so we can share in the work & successes.

Thanks Doug,

Bear

It Looks Great !!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

It takes us some time & experiments to get these "Sous Vide" things the way we want them, but then again when we do get one perfect, it doesn't mean doing exactly the same thing the next time will get the exact same results.

All we can do is keep experimenting & posting our methods & results, so we can share in the work & successes.

Thanks Doug,

Bear
Thanks, Bear. 

Even though the sous vide devices allow us to repeat our process exactly, we can still get differing results because of the lack of consistency provided by the meat! I made some chicken breasts earlier this week (@ 145*) and they  turned out a lot drier/tougher than I experienced in the past. I blame the meat...

Hi
That flat iron
Looked yummy!
I did a pastrami that had been smoked to 150deg IT in the sous vide for 72 hrs!
I have decided that my next brisket is I'll be smoked until the stall and then sous vide cooked for 72 hrs!
The pastrami was excellent. I dried it and hit
It under the close broiler to harden the bark a bit! It was like butta and the flavor was fused better with all the spices.
The generally use the Texas crutch process at the stall and then run it until the IT is 203 in foil and broth.

GREAT WORK!!

Last edited:
Hi
That flat iron
Looked yummy!
I did a pastrami that had been smoked yo 150IT in the sous vide for 72 hrs!
I have decided that my next brisket is I'll be smoked until the stall and then sous vide cooked for 72 hrs!
The pastrami was excellent. I dried it and hit
It under the close broiler to harden the bark a bit! It was like butta and the flavor was fused better with all the spices.
The generally fo the Texas crutch process at the stall and then run it until the IT is 203 in foil and broth.

GREAT WORK!!
Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky