Greetings from Central Florida

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmark

Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
I've been smoking for about 20 years now, first with a modded Lowe's Char-Griller, now with a Weber Smokey Mountain. I typically do birds, but a nice London Broil goes a long way. One thing I have no experience with is using the water pan. I always do straight smoke - 275 or so for short, afternoon smokes.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to your new addiction (the forums)... Anything and everything can be found here...

Maybe come join us in Sebring this weekend to meet members, learn new tricks, or teach us a few tricks...

Many of day trippers come... Not mandatory to camp...

Have a look

...https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/12th-annual-south-florida-gathering-december-1-3-2023.319432/

Reactions: fxsales1959
I've been smoking for about 20 years now, first with a modded Lowe's Char-Griller, now with a Weber Smokey Mountain. I typically do birds, but a nice London Broil goes a long way. One thing I have no experience with is using the water pan. I always do straight smoke - 275 or so for short, afternoon smokes.
Welcome rom SE Florida (Ft
Lauderdale)
Also welcome to the world of WSM. there's a bunch of WSM experts here. I went thru many smokers before the enablers here convinced me of the WSM. I have never done a cook without the water bowl. I typically maintain temps around 237-ish. For me it's mostly longer smokes like rib racks, brisket points for burnt ends, tri-tip and the like. I may be corrected but it's my understanding the water bowl acts as a heat sync between the coal/wood bed and the grate .I've also heard of others that fill it with sand or gravel to serve a similar purpose. I've always wanted to try cook without it that can with stand hot and fast temps, but the cost of meat has precluded it.. I typically wait for the fire bed to get somewhat established then put in pan and about 2 gallons of tap water (about 2/3 full) it does make getting to stable temps take a little longer before adding meat.. I'm not sure where you're from in Central Florida, we are having a gathering in Sebring this weekend at Highland Hammocks park. Pretty sure all the campsites in our area of the park are booked, but if your not to far for a jaunt down on Saturday you could meet some of the "experts" _me not withstanding. There is a thread here on the board with details. Look forward to seeing some of your cooks on the forum. search S Florida gathering with search tool.

Welcome aboard J. If I were cooking at lower temps(225*) then I would use water in the pan. Anything above that I would wrap the pan in foil and use it as a heat deflector. I have a 22" WSM, but I would think the same principles would work for the other two sizes.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky